Is he Prolapsed?

Geckomaster743

I haven't seen this in a while but Ive seen it again. This time I've seen the Red Raw flesh sticking out of his butt. He's Hissing a lot right now and he's trying to keep it inside but it keeps coming out. He has it in at the moment or so i think but i can't say this is easy for him. I can't afford to take him to a doctor with the allowance i currently have so i do have to say that I'm worried. Any advice on what i should do, It came out ALOT. It was out enough for me to see that its was Rounded and the flesh closest to the inside i could see Blood but attached. The Front looked pinkish like he had been licking it a lot and that white substance reappeared. Any advice, Should i soak him in sugar water even though its still not sticking out?

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I wish I was more help, but I've never seen a prolapsed hemipene. If it comes out again, I'd get him onto damp paper towels or something non-irritating. Its good that its back in now!! I hope it stays!

Geckomaster743

Yeah, I was really worried because it came out ALOT this time. I was able to see atleast see 3 Centimeters which is a lot compared to the half of a Centimeter i saw before. He got it back in which is good but if it ever gets out I can't rely on my parents to help me. So basically i can only research and Pray that nothing happens.

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
The hemipenis being out is not a problem on its own. It is part of the breeding process and is perfectly normal.

That being said if it does stay out for a prolonged period you probably have an issue. The fact that there is blood is concerning. With one of my males he managed to injure the hemipenis and retract it, however the damage was done and caused a full prolapse later on because of the resulting infection. If it does stay out extremely concentrated sugar water or honey can help. You can also apply preparation h to reduce the swelling. It probably won't do anything if the hemipenis is retracted already.

If there is an injury already or if it is unable to retract you may really need a vet. At this point i'd wait and see if it comes out again and doesn't retract - not much you can do in the meantime.

The biggest thing i can say is that if you have him in a cage where he can see other geckos you are asking for a problem, this caused two prolapses within the span of a week for my geckos and is a mistake I learned the hard way. Put towels between the cages and spread the cages out if at all possible. The competition between males is intense and the increased hormone levels can really contribute to a prolapse.

Geckomaster743

The hemipenis being out is not a problem on its own. It is part of the breeding process and is perfectly normal.

That being said if it does stay out for a prolonged period you probably have an issue. The fact that there is blood is concerning. With one of my males he managed to injure the hemipenis and retract it, however the damage was done and caused a full prolapse later on because of the resulting infection. If it does stay out extremely concentrated sugar water or honey can help. You can also apply preparation h to reduce the swelling. It probably won't do anything if the hemipenis is retracted already.

If there is an injury already or if it is unable to retract you may really need a vet. At this point i'd wait and see if it comes out again and doesn't retract - not much you can do in the meantime.

The biggest thing i can say is that if you have him in a cage where he can see other geckos you are asking for a problem, this caused two prolapses within the span of a week for my geckos and is a mistake I learned the hard way. Put towels between the cages and spread the cages out if at all possible. The competition between males is intense and the increased hormone levels can really contribute to a prolapse.
There are about 3 Females in a Cage about 3 - 5 Feet Away from him, Do you think they provoke him? He's always staring at them unless i put some thing in the way. And By the way the Blood wasn't Wet, It seemed like a Dried blood but isn't that normal because it came from inside him?

Gopherhockey03

Ya, I had to do the same my male was always watching the girls so I stuck some construction paper on the side. This may not work but its worth a try! If not I have heard about soaking them in cool sugar water, then he should be put on paper towels. And then keep everything extra clean to avoid infection!

Geckomaster743

Yea i just did that, I put construction paper on his tank so he got mad cause i was blocking his view of the room so i put the paper on there tank because they don't really care.

Visit our friends