Is it hard to switch them over to mealworms?

Rell18

I am very interested in getting an AFT but I hear they are very picky eaters and I hate crickets. Is it very difficult to switch them over to mealworms or superworms?

Jetbo

I have not tried mealworms yet but I have a girl AFT that is hooked on butterworms and is refusing all other feeders :main_rolleyes: including the dubias she used to love.

Wandering

Mine switched to mealworms as soon as he saw it wiggling. I think it's all about the personality. One likes to stalk prey (dubias/crickets) the other solely eats mealworms and occasionaly a cricket. Good luck. I'm trying to start mealworm and dubia colonies...

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
When dealing with AFTs, you're going to have to deal with crickets. I have over 50 geckos and I have only a few that will eat the mealworms, and those came from a breeder who raises them on mealworms (Thanks, Alex!). I have a few other animals that occasionally will pick at mealies. I have however converted all my holdbacks from this season to mealworm, by simply not feeding them for 5 days, then offering a dish of mealworms left overnight. Most will catch on pretty quickly, but some don't. I wish I could say otherwise, but I still go through thousands of crickets a week!

Visit our friends