is it inhumane to have eggs culled?

leonut

I did a search on this and found no simalar topics so i figured i'd post one. imagine this scenareo. A person really wants to breed geckos. (be that leopard, crested, use you imagination.;)) However he can only deal with x number of offspring or he wouldn't have a market for a lot of geckos. The gecko he wants to breed has more than that number of offspring. Should he go ahead and breed his geckos and cull x number of eggs? say the gecko has 20 babys. he can only handle 15. should he cull 5 eggs? what do you think?
(just a note no, i'm not having this problem just thought it would be an interesting topic.)

R

RepBex

so many animals by so many breeders a culled for no reason why cull eggs ? its more money at the end of the day

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
It has nothing to do with money, it has to do with over populating the market. I would rather, at the end of the day, cull a few eggs than have to try and rehome geckos, and ultimately have to give them away due to the market being flooded. I am a FIRM believer in only producing what YOU and the MARKET can handle. Same thing goes for all breedings...cats, dogs, horses, etc.

For example. I will be doing a test breeding to help figure out the morph of a couple of my geckos this coming spring (Trempers we think, but possible hets). Out of the breeding, I will only be keeping 4 eggs. I do not feel it's fair to bring any more babies into the world than the 2 or 4 I need, and will be able to handle on top of my known breeding projects. I also already have them all placed in homes.

Last edited:

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I don't see a problem with culling eggs. I'd cull an egg 100X over than cull a hatchling gecko! Personally, I think it's more responsible then just incubating every egg you get...especially if you know you can only handle so many.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I agree with Shanti. I feel that if you do not want eggs/offspring, you should not allow your geckos to breed. But if you can't handle the number of hatchlings or think you would not be able to sell them all, by all means just throw the eggs out.

Visit our friends