Is it smart to use sand as substrate?

Grimtoast

I've had this bag of sand sitting in my room for the past five years, and I honestly don't know if it's even a good idea to use it. I've had it ever since I got my first Leopard Gecko, but she died last year before I ever used it. I have a new one now, but I don't know if she'll get impacted or sick or what. I read that it's not good for them, but I see people who use it and their leos look just fine.
What do?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I wouldn't risk it either... An impacted Gecko can get quite expensive...

Khenut

So long as you feed your Leo outside of the tank, and don't let it chase bugs around and eat crickets in the terrarium, then it should be fine. But with all loose substrates there runs the risk of it licking the ground. My advice, if you choose to take said risk, is to put some granite or slate tiles or rocks over the top of it. That way there is a very small chance of any sand being ingested at all, but there is a naturalistic feel to it.

Geckomaster743

In the Product reviews i mentioned every possible outcome of sand. And the point is there isnt one outcome that will come to your benifit. There are some 30$ guides or books out there explaining how to get your gecko to live 20 Years + because most live till 6 or 7 when kept with humans. Keeping Sand, Breeding and not cleaning regularly are some of the things that will affect your gecko. Even if the gecko looks fine in the Photos/Videos that other people show you they are actually damaging there gecko and it will show up later in a conditon that is much worse. All I have to say is Sand = Painful Death / Surgery / Expenses / Years out of your Gecko

Jordan1

If your looking for naturalitic substrate you can use repti-carpet if your looking for simple paper towel is the way to go!:) i use paper towel for substrate and i love it not one of my leo's had any troubles with it and its very easy to clean.Sand and calci-sand or any other kind of sand is extremely dangerous, i wouldnt risk it, it can cause impaction and it can irritate your leo, getting in the eyes.As darkmaster said sand=Painful death/expenses/surgery/years from your gecko.Those videos and pictures you see are a hoax the tails of the leo look fine and everything else but you can't see the inside of the leo right? There's most likely the beginning of a painful experience or death to the leo.Don't risk it i wouldn't use if it were the only substrate in the world it can hharm your leo with out a doubt.Hope you make the right decision of course its all up to you and your leo.

Visit our friends