Is My Gecko Sick?

marteeniee

I am worried for the one on top. it’s name is Crebb and the bottom one is ranch. ranch is bigger than crebb. I got crebb first then ranch a week later, they’re both from the same tank in petco though. I don’t know their sex and age but im worried about crebb’s tail. crebb also gets really dark when i try to take it from thr tank for handling. I know they come out their hides when i turn off all the lights ,except their nightlight that emits heat, at 1am. they usually sit on hot area (where their heat mat is) or go above their cave hide and get heat from the bulb. i see crebb eat, drink, and poop regularly. i noticed its tail is not as fat as ranch’s

About your leo:
- Sex: idk
- Age & Weight: also not sure :(
- How long have you owned your leo: 1 month
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend): petco

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo: i handled them a week after i got them and i handle them 2-3x a week at 1 am when they come out from their hides
- Is your leo acting any different today? Crebb is just a chill lil baby. eating and drinking normally
- Has he/she had any problems in the past: not that i noticed
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal): looks like regular dark beans with uric acid
- When was the last time he/she went: not sure but i clean every week
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on: im just worried if crebb is too skinny or if any of you see something abnormal about crebb

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size: 15 gallon
- Type: glass tank
- Type of substrate: zoo med eco carpet
- Hides, how many, what kind: 1 coconut shell hide, 1 exo terra humid hide, 1 regular cave
B) Heating
- Heat source: red nightlight 60w and 24w daylight bulb, heating mat
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side): 85c cool, 93-95c hot
- Method of regulating heat source: ^^
- What are you using to measure your temps: thermostat thingies that can set temps
- Do you have any lights (describe): ^^
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females): 1 thicc baby named ranch
- Describe health, or previous problems: im a first time owner so idk the normals and abnormals

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much): 5 crickets, 5 baby mealworms, 10 soldier fly larvae every 4-5 days
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect): i leave each group of food in a dish, except for the crickets, at night right before they come out. i know they come out at 1am-sunrise so i plan it that way. it’s usually all gone by 4-5 days i notice the mealworms gone in 2 days, then crickets, then larvae gone by day 4
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands) calcium powder in a wider and flatter dish
- What are you gut loading food with: leftovers carrots, berries, and other veggies my blue-tongued skink didnt eat

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If there is any way you can set up another cage so they can be separate, it would be great for the following reasons:
--it's possible that the skinny one isn't getting as much to eat because the bigger one is getting all the food
--the skinny one is quite skinny. Unfortunately, there is a parasite (cryptosporidium) that can result in a very skinny gecko. I'm not saying that your gecko has it (though you should probably get it tested at the vet). The parasite is incurable and ultimately fatal (I know because I have an entire household of infected geckos). Now that they've been together, if one has it, they both have it, but it's worthwhile to separate them to see if the skinny one will gain weight

Hopefully, the skinny one was just at the bottom of the pecking order at the pet store and just needs to gain weight. I think the best way to care for it at this point is to house it separately and make sure it's eating.
Until you know for sure that the skinny one doesn't have any parasites, don't get any more geckos.

Aliza

marteeniee

here’s another pic of the leo, crebb. i tried separating it and handfeeding it but it only eats wax worms. might try to gut some meal worms so it eats more. i stopped feeding after trying because i didnt wanna stress it out. but its stool looks normal. the bigger leo seems to be eating less now that i tried hand-feeding. it also seems so much older than crebb. so worried that it might be crypto. i’ll keep hand-feeding instead of leaving them in bowls, keep crebb and ranch separated, so i will see in a month :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you can take crebb to a vet and have it tested for crypto, you will know what you're dealing with. Or else you can assume it is crypto. In that case, I don't think crebb is going to last that long. Ranch may be fine for years even if she has crypto, but you would be wise not to get any more geckos (if you do want more geckos, it's a really good idea to get crebb tested so you know what the deal is).

Aliza

Visit our friends