Is my tank to hot or too cool?

qw23e

Well I am getting ready for the big day on Saturday and was wondering if my tank is too hot or too cool? The warm end has a suface temp of 94-97 and the air temp is 80-81 on the hot side and 75-80 on the cool side. Thankyou for any info in advance. I want to get it perfect for when I get her. Btw I have a rheostat so it wont over heat or under. I am using a uth as my heat source.

C

cuomop

i keep my hot between 90-94, i personally believe 97 is on the hot side

qw23e

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think the air temp is to cool? I turned my rheostat alittle down. I am going for about 94-95.

2bacop

your air temp is fine as well as the temps on the cool side. But like Paul said 97 is a little too hot, aiming for 94-95 is perfect!

qw23e

Man it is hard to control this rheostat! It is about 95-96 now. Does anyone have a zoomed rheostat? If someone does can they tell me their experiences with it?

Gregg M

Registered Member
Leave the temps at 97 on the hot side... It is far from too hot... Keeping your cool side in the low to mid 80's is right where you want them to be...
At rest, most reptiles want to maintain a body temp of 86.5 degrees... At any point in the day or night, ALL of my leos body temps range from 86 to 87 degrees... This is their optimal temperature...

You will not even come close to "cooking" your leo at the 97 degree range... Remember, your body temp is well over 97 degrees and your leo will not melt in your hands or under your tee-shirt...

All of my racks are at 97 and they have been for years... My leos never go off feed and they are thriving... 97 IS NOT TOO HOT!!!!

Last edited:

Riyo

Pet Human
Leave the temps at 97 on the hot side... It is far from too hot... Keeping your cool side in the low to mid 80's is right where you want them to be...
At rest, most reptiles want to maintain a body temp of 86.5 degrees... At any point in the day or night, ALL of my leos body temps range from 86 to 87 degrees... This is their optimal temperature...

You will not even come close to "cooking" your leo at the 97 degree range... Remember, your body temp is well over 97 degrees and your leo will not melt in your hands or under your tee-shirt...

All of my racks are at 97 and they have been for years... My leos never go off feed and they are thriving... 97 IS NOT TOO HOT!!!!

I agree. I keep mine around 95-97ish and they are doing great. :main_yes:

2bacop

It wont burn the gecko, I know that, however, I still think its a little too warm.

qw23e

thanks everyone. Well I have a good temp now and its all taken care of. I am so excited! I will post pics when I get her on Saturday or Sunday. I wont want to stress her out.

2bacop

thanks everyone. Well I have a good temp now and its all taken care of. I am so excited! I will post pics when I get her on Saturday or Sunday. I wont want to stress her out.

Good Luck, cant wait to see those pics!

G

Geck-O

For some reason, my gecko doesn't like it hotter than 89-90. So I moved the UTH further away from his favourite hide. Is anyone's gecko like that too?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Don't worry about the normal room air temperature. I think 97 is a little bit too hot, but it certainly will not burn you gecko! I have actually had some of mine close to 100 degrees with no ill effects. (Not that I recommend that...)

Gregg M

Registered Member
97 is a little to hot.:main_no:

Ok so you know this how exactly??? Could it be from the huge collection you maintain??? Could it be from the many years of experience you have under your belt??? Or is it from reading out dated internet crap sheets???

You think 97 is too hot??? Ask the hundreds and hundreds of geckos I have bred out and raised in 97 degree tubs...

I hate to sound like a jerk but beginner keepers who do not know much should listen and learn much more than they should be giving out advice...:main_thumbsup:

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
Same with Paul. I upped my temps from 90-92 to 95-96 and my animals have seemed to do much better. Eating whenever food is presented. Pictures of my geckos are the proof ;)

combadao

I observed that some of them appear to have a greater sensitivity... some of mine that were less active now do a lot better with higher temperatures. I guess some variation is normal.

Visit our friends