Is this normal for Cresties?

Cheryl Frain

I saw my crestie eat his own poop today. He was staring at it and then pounced like it was a cricket. He did not spit it out...................eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I have never found very much poop in his enclosure and was suspicious that he ate it and now I know. He always has food available , he eats well , he's alert and growing , everything seems just fine. Is this normal? More importantly , is it ok? Will he get sick or does it mean he has a problem - low self esteem or seperation issues perhaps? Just kidding. Seriously , should I worry? Thanks

Caleb C

I don't think that's normal for any animal. Probably a case of clueless gecko. I have geckos that will accidentally bite at others because they think that they're food.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Actually I've heard of many animals that eat their own poop (most commonly dogs). I've not heard of a crestie doing it, but it doesn't surprise me. It's not harmful, just has the ick factor. From what I've read, the digestive tract of most animals, including humans, is not 100% efficient in extracting energy from food, meaning that fecal matter does in fact have some nutritional elements left in it. Plus there is tons of "good" bacteria in it, so maybe your gecko feels the need to stabilize his intestinal microflora, or something. Short story: don't worry.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I second what Amanda said! :) :) Don't worry - your gecko will be OK! :)

Visit our friends