It Only Took Four Months............

30secondstobob

............. for the baby I posted about on 9/17 to eat his first meal on his own! I never gave up on him. For two months I force fed him with a tiny syringe, a mixture of mashed crickets, chicken baby food, vitamin powder and pedialyte. Then I switched to forcing dusted mealworms and waxworms into his mouth and down his throat. If I didn't force him, he simply wouldn't eat. After a week of not eating, I felt obligated to force him again. Well between yesterday and today, he's eaten two medium sized mealworms and two large waxworms all on his own! I'm so ecstatic about this. All the "issue free" hatchlings I produced this year - this one definitely means most to me. I think I'll keep him. Bob

30secondstobob

Sure, here he is. I know he's a little small and slim for his age, but maybe now that he's eating on his own, he'll fatten up. Congrats on yours too, Aliza! Bob

004-14.jpg

Kylerbassman

Your on the right track obviously, doesnt look too bad except for tail being a hair thin, but I'm sure now he's eating on his own you will see improvements speed up. Good for you, spending time and effort to save the poor guy. I think he's a really nice looking gecko at that :) good luck

30secondstobob

Have you ever had it checked by a vet? Has a fecal ever been done?

No I haven't. What would we be looking for? Since I put him on the solid food, his poops look completely normal. He's very lively and fast and has shed regularly and unevently. He just would not eat. If you go back to my first post on 9/17, I believe I actullly "killed" him for a few minutes via aspiration of his first liquid meal. I blew air into his nostrils for a good 15 minutes until he finally moved again. Now that he has a real apetite (ate again today), I think I can chalk this one up as a success story. Bob

Embrace Calamity

No I haven't. What would we be looking for? Since I put him on the solid food, his poops look completely normal. He's very lively and fast and has shed regularly and unevently. He just would not eat. If you go back to my first post on 9/17, I believe I actullly "killed" him for a few minutes via aspiration of his first liquid meal. I blew air into his nostrils for a good 15 minutes until he finally moved again. Now that he has a real apetite (ate again today), I think I can chalk this one up as a success story. Bob
I was just wondering if it might have had anything to do with parasites.

~Maggot

Visit our friends