Just bought zoomed Reptitherm UTH

Futureboundexe

So I found the heat mat I was gonna buy, it’s legit the only one they sell in my area, for 50% off usual price! Being cautious I checked many reviews and a lot of them say it either a) doesn’t heat up enough or b) fails and overheats enough to crack the glass and probably fry the gecko. I’m not too worried about a) as I’ll be very regularly checking the temperature and the gecko will be in a room with heating anyway so it won’t get cold enough to die if it decides to cool down, but I am super worried about b)! I’m gonna have a thermostat connected to the heat pad obviously, my question is can a thermostat stop that failing and overheating from happening? I think it would, but I’m not 100% sure. This is for my future leopard gecko

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The thermostat will definitely keep the temperature from getting too high and cracking the glass because once the temperature probe registers that it's hit the temperature you've set the thermostat at, the thermostat will shut off the heater until the probe tells it that the temperature has gone down. If the temperature doesn't get high enough, there's nothing the thermostat can do about that. At that price, it's worth a try!

Aliza

Futureboundexe

The thermostat will definitely keep the temperature from getting too high and cracking the glass because once the temperature probe registers that it's hit the temperature you've set the thermostat at, the thermostat will shut off the heater until the probe tells it that the temperature has gone down. If the temperature doesn't get high enough, there's nothing the thermostat can do about that. At that price, it's worth a try!

Aliza
I found upon further inspection of those reviews that a lot of people who said it didn’t heat enough were measuring the air temp of the enclosure and not the ground temp, so I’m hoping it’ll work!

TexAg91

So I found the heat mat I was gonna buy, it’s legit the only one they sell in my area, for 50% off usual price! Being cautious I checked many reviews and a lot of them say it either a) doesn’t heat up enough or b) fails and overheats enough to crack the glass and probably fry the gecko. I’m not too worried about a) as I’ll be very regularly checking the temperature and the gecko will be in a room with heating anyway so it won’t get cold enough to die if it decides to cool down, but I am super worried about b)! I’m gonna have a thermostat connected to the heat pad obviously, my question is can a thermostat stop that failing and overheating from happening? I think it would, but I’m not 100% sure. This is for my future leopard gecko
When I used a repti-therm, I also used a repti-temp with it. Worked great and kept things stable within a degree F or so.

Futureboundexe

The thermostat that is. Not thermometer.
Yeah my area doesn’t have a prominent reptile keeping community so the items available reflect that. When I said that heat pad is the ONLY one they sell I mean the only one that is sold within my town and the city an hour away. Same with the thermostats, the ONLY one available is the exo terra one. Nothing else besides Amazon carries other options and due to being in a small town things take ten years to ship here (okay… maybe 2-3 months but still). Drives me insane, even aquarium products are impossible to find.

Visit our friends