Just finished my first rack

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I did this mainly to get ready for breeding season, to save space, and conserve my power bill. It's nor perfect by any means, but it will hold 9 individually housed leos and has my crestie and carpet python on top. 7ft. of 3" heat tape for the rack and two UTH's for the glass tanks, four leos residing in the rack now. Extra space, because you just never know, do you???

I fit all my gear in the unused sections, and condensed quite a bit over the previous setup. One of the biggest improvements is that are no lids to take off inside the rack. The thermostat is a Ranco on/off. 3/4" plywood body with a walnut faceframe. I'm a carpenter, so I had it lying around.

rack1.jpg

MiamiLeos

love it!! im still building up the courage to start on my rack. ill need to do it relatively soon though lolol yours looks so nice and clean cut.

Northstar Herp

Did you run strips under the shelves for support, or are they screwed directly to the sides?

The outside box pieces are rabbeted to accept the 1/4" plywood that covers the back. They are glued and stapled together with 1/4"x 1.5 inch staples, then the back plywood is glued and stapled inside that. That's what really give it rigidity. Then the interior shelves are cut to fit inside the plywood back. They are glued and stapled from the sides, and then glued and stapled through the back plywood. The staples do the trick, but it's really just to hold tight until the glue dries, that's what holds it.

I used yellow glue, because that's what I found first, but polyurethane glue is better (like a gorilla glue). Just remember to wet one surface before you join, since it requires moisture to cure.

Someday I'll make a more serious and aesthetically pleasing rack, but someday ain't today. It sure is nice having everything so compact though.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Awesome, thanks for the detailed answer. Is it necessary to rabbet the box, or would it be strong enough if the back panel was cut to fit within the box?

Northstar Herp

I wouldn't cut it to fit inside the box. Instead, put the box together, and the take the total height and width of the box, and make the back that size. Then glue and screw/nail it to the back. That will work just fine, you will just be able to see the back from the side of the box.

The rabbet serves several purposes. It provides more gluing surface, since it's an L shaped notch. It provides mechanical strength, since the back actually fits (or should) snugly inside the rabbet. And connected to that, it automatically squares up the cabinet.

But you don't have to do it, and unless you have a table saw or router/router table, you really can't. It's the glue that's important anyway.

jermh1

But you don't have to do it, and unless you have a table saw or router/router table, you really can't. It's the glue that's important anyway.

you could just stack up some blades on a circular saw, with washers inbetween can get at least 3/8, set the depth, then clamp down a streight edge. Just kidding thats way too dangerous .

or you could make a table saw, draw a center line down a sheet of plywood plunge your circular saw through on the line, hold it there and let off the trigger, use fender washers and 1 1/4 screws to screw around the deck. unplug your saw and flip the sheet over on your saw horses (with the saw attached) use 11in vice clamps to clamp a 2x4 for your guide, o and cut off the screws sticking out, then grind flat. you probably guessed it tape the trigger on the saw, the extension cord and plug is the new trigger. walla the 10 min table saw. Just dont let an osha officer catch you. and use a good blade cause she can kick.

jermh1-
i just gotta say wow. from my perspective (grew up with a perfectionist finish carpenter father, and a best friend who is the king of jerry-rigging) that is both horrifying and amazing at the same time.
pakinjak-
that is a great looking rack, dude. especially like the walnut facing. makes me miss living near my father and having constant access to any tool/material that i would need to make anything my heart desires.

Last edited:

Northstar Herp

jermh1-
i just gotta say wow. from my perspective (grew up with a perfectionist finish carpenter father, and a best friend who is the king of jerry-rigging) that is both horrifying and amazing at the same time.
pakinjak-
that is a great looking rack, dude. especially like the walnut facing. makes me miss living near my father and having constant access to any tool/material that i would need to make anything my heart desires.

Thanks, I feel like it's a great big hack job, if you look closely, it's unacceptable. At least as a kitchen cabinet... this one was my test run and I threw it together in about 1.5 hours before the snow fell the other day. The next one will probably be a fairly large glass front enclosure for my carpet python as she grows.

And maybe I should have added that you can't make rabbets SAFELY without a table saw. :p

Visit our friends