Just Getting started - I need some help!

boodles

So, I'm just starting out on wanting to create my own Hides and climbing spots and whatnot else. It just seems like it make more sense becasue It's cheaper and then it's the way *I* want it to look, and less awkward than buying plastic things that don't seem to fit right.

Anyways, this is the info I've gathered so far, and I was wondering if I should do it this way or if anyone has any tips or other/easier suggestions to add to help me out (So I only have to do it once, not 3 times. lol)

I've gathered:

#1 - Use styrofoam as the base. Make sure to rough it up so theres no shiny sides. Use Silicone for glue to glue layers together and use a knife or hands to give it the design you want.

#2 - Put Coloured Unsanded Grout over the styrofoam. The first layer should be the thickness of a milkshake, second layer a bit thicker, then a 3rd layer thinner.

#3 - Paint with acrylic non-toxic paints (maybe add sand to the paint for texture). Do a couple coats.

#4 - Sealing is unnecessary as it's for a Leo Gecko and they don't require alot of moisture.

#5 - I could use magnets to hold it in place in the tank, or I could simply use the Silicone to stick it permanently to the glass.

#6 - To make life easier, use toothpicks to hold foam together while waiting for silicone to dry.

If you have any other suggestions/ideas. Please let me know ASAP as I will hopefully be starting this within a week.

Thank you!!

boodles

Also, another question:

If I put a large design of this sort in my tank that has a Zoo Med 8 Watt heating pad on the bottom, will it melt the styrofoam or heat it enough to let off toxic fumes?

TXJ1123

Also, another question:

If I put a large design of this sort in my tank that has a Zoo Med 8 Watt heating pad on the bottom, will it melt the styrofoam or heat it enough to let off toxic fumes?

No, it shouldn't. Actually some UTH recommend using styro to keep the pad against the tank and protect the surface it sits on. This surprised me at first but it works.
I would think the only concern would be the base layer being too thick for the heat to go through well.

Phantom240

No, it shouldn't. Actually some UTH recommend using styro to keep the pad against the tank and protect the surface it sits on. This surprised me at first but it works.
I would think the only concern would be the base layer being too thick for the heat to go through well.
I used the styrofoam sheets that protected my terrarium in shipment to cover the entire underside of the terrarium. It insulates quite well, and I feel a lot better about having heavy slate tiles, being that the glass is supported better.

boodles

Thanks for the input.... Feel alot better about buying a UTH now. I've run into some troubles though, posting a thread for help now.

Visit our friends