Just got a crested gecko -- anything I should know?

Rosalie Spot

I was at the reptile super show in Pomona on sunday and fell in love with the cutest little crestie. I'd been wanting a crestie for quite awhile, though I wasn't sure. But anyhow, I asked some questions, and realized I'd be able to care for one. So I got my little Billy (that's the gecko's name), all the stuff the breeder said she needed, and went on my way.

Here's what I have in the cage (which is appropriate length -- taller than it is wide):

The Cocoa Moss stuff as substrate (I completely forgot what it's called. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about)

Cleaned sticks/logs/driftwood for climbing

Fake vines

Shallow bowl of fresh Repashy Crested Gecko diet

I also gave her three small crickets. I spray the cage twice a day, once in the morning, once at night, for humidity and so she can drink. I'm going to buy a thermometer today, but I do know it's a little under 85 degrees in that room.

Is there anything I should add to the tank (besides the future thermometer)?

She sits right next to my leopard gecko, who has a light during the day. I put a towel on the side of the leopard gecko's cage because I noticed Billy was watching the Leo, and didn't want to stress her out. I heard that they need some form of light for a few hours during the day, and the leopard gecko's light does that unless I take the towel off. Should I take the towel off?

Are there any tips for trying to tame her? Like if I should grab her, or let her come to my hand, etc. I'm not going to do anything for a week or so, so she can get settled in, but it'd be good to know.

I'd also appreciate anything else you can tell me. Please, just let everything you know about caring for a crestie into your fingers and onto the keyboard. I don't want to let this little girly down.

muffy

I wouldn't house them in the same cage. They have different care requirements.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
they need "in-direct" sunlight, or have a lamp turned on in the room.
Temps shouldn't exceed 80F

Im not 100% sure on the leo/crestie being side by side, I've had my fatty beside the cresteds and they don't notice eachother.

The cresteds tank should be higher than your leo, with that said the top of your cresteds tank isn't being light up from the leo, Provide it with a different light source.

Rosalie Spot

they need "in-direct" sunlight, or have a lamp turned on in the room.
Temps shouldn't exceed 80F

Im not 100% sure on the leo/crestie being side by side, I've had my fatty beside the cresteds and they don't notice eachother.

The cresteds tank should be higher than your leo, with that said the top of your cresteds tank isn't being light up from the leo, Provide it with a different light source.

They're on two different tables, and the leo is on a higher one.

However, this arrangement is temporary, as I'll be spending another week and a half away from my house. Then I will put the cage in my room, where there is a large window that sunlight comes into through the day, but just enough to light up the room and not hitting the cage directly.

Also, in the house I live in, we don't have AC, but we have about three of those portable fans. If it gets too hot, would it be alright to put a fan next to Billy's cage to cool it down?

Sidhe

Your fan idea is probably a good one. Cresties can get stressed or sick if temps are above 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Visit our friends