Just got my first Gargoyle! And a question regarding eggs.

ragnew

Frog-A-Holic
So a coworker of mine decided to part with his Gargoyle Gecko and I'm happy to say that I'm the beasties new owner! I was actually thinking about getting another type of gecko for quite sometime now, but was pretty thrilled when this happened.

Now I've got a question though. The Garg that I acquired was supposed to be a male, well upon getting "him" home, and setting "him" up in a permanent enclosure, "he" decided to lay an egg for me :D I was actually thinking that "Brutus" was actually an "Ariel" because the hemipenal bulge wasn't quite a pronounced as a lot of the pictures I see.

The egg in my eyes, looks to be fertile. It's a very white color, and it has hardened up really nicely as well. But I'm not sure if the infertiles would appear any different. With my Leopards when I was keeping them, the duds would stay softer and they usually remained yellowish in color. Is it the same way with the Rhacs?

Also, this little one was kept on her own to the best of my knowledge, but I'm sure there was always the chance that she'd been in with a male before he purchased her. If so, how long can these guys retain sperm?

Thanks for all the information everyone! It's so exciting to be back in the gecko hobby! I can honestly say, I've missed them!

Pics of my new addition will soon follow!

ragnew

Frog-A-Holic
Some Pics : 9/14/2010

So here's a few pictures of my first Gargoyle Gecko. Her name is Ariel, and I've gotta say that she's pretty darn cool! I traded my co-worker two Giant Centipedes for her (he was actually just wanting to her to me, but I couldn't do it) and I have to say, I think I came out on top her! ;)

So here she be!

img_1438.jpg

img_1437.jpg

img_1436.jpg

img_1434.jpg

img_1429.jpg

img_1427.jpg

She has since laid me an egg, and I'm actually going to be ordering a male for her. I'd really like to try my hand at breeding these very interesting lizards.

Thanks for looking folks!

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
In case you haven't found your answers yet: Gargoyles can retain sperm for up to 9 months on average. To "candle" the eggs to see if they are fertile, you can use a very bright LED-type light (pen light, flashlight, or mini book-light) and shine it through the egg. If you see a small red circle then the egg is fertile and you will want to incubate it with the red circle side up. The red circle can show immediately after laid or can take up to a couple of days. Hope this helps.

Visit our friends