Just not right!!!!!!!

mushu_the_gecko

somethings up since the day i bought it in february ive only held it once other wise it runs away and when i try to hold some mealies in my hands and then it hissses at me somethings wrong what should i do

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Nothin sounds wrong to me,

Just sounds like it doesn't like being handled. some do some don't, in time it may warm to you. The hissing is a defensive vocalization, you most likely scared it.

Put yourself in its shoes, something huge approaches you and you would mostly likely be scared hey.

You should really keep handling to a minimum as reptiles unless ok with it right off the bat just don't like it and will couse unesasery stress.

As for hand feeding, you can try, but if they are not going for it now then they most likely never will. Like i said before, it may warm to you and in time it may except hand feeding. I know most don't, they prefer to hunt.

just my 2c

R

reddmann

My leo is 2 years old and sometimes it will run away, other times he will come to the glass and stare until i put my hand in the cage for him to walk up on. He never takes food from my hand, and I have tried that with him. He will just stare at my hand until i put the food in the dish or on the floor of the cage (which he seems to prefer), then he will get it himself.

BGalloway

Your gecko looks young, if that is it in your profile picture, so just take your time with him/her. Take the handling thing slow and look up some taming threads using the search function, there's some really usefull ones.

Visit our friends