Knob-tail substrate

kenske

I was wondering if there's any problem with using natural marine sand for knob-tails. What's the difference between marine sand and desert sand?

tia,
kenny

Last edited:

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
This is a total guess, but I would imagine marine sand has a higher salt and calcium content, and would be more resistant to packing and holding it's shape. I would think desert sand is better suited for knob-tails because it's likely there is at least some clay content that helps bind the sand together when dry.

kenske

Thank you all for your replies :main_thumbsup:. I have decided to nix the marine sand.

I have done some reading and have found that many knob tail owners (particularly europeans)use fine, washed, and screened play sand without any problems. I found some pre-washed and pre-screened play sand at Home Depot for $3.60 per 50lb bag.

Although many reputable breeders use sand that is specifically designed (or at least packaged) for reptile use, i decided to pass on it (at least for now). I have visited a few local pet stores and found that most of them carry ONLY calci sand, which we all know is evil and should not even be sold. All the other acceptable "reptile" sand that was recommend by knob-tail owners pretty costly, $18.00 per 10lbs bag.

I went with play sand for a few reasons. Honestly, cost is the main factor. If play sand weren't a option, i would definately spend the extra $$$ for my pair of levis. But since, play sand and reptile sand are both options (according to my research), i went with play sand. I feel that i have made an informed decision.

Anyone that have used play play sand with negative (or positive) results for their knobbies, please chime in...

Visit our friends