Large door

Nick D.

Im in the proccess of converting an entertainment center into an enclosure. What stumps me is the door. I suppose most who have large enclosures use sliding doors. How exactly do you do it and what materials do you use? Of course any other door methods are appreciated, thanks.

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
I despise sliding doors, I use hinged.

For sliding you can usually find a kit at a hardware store that will have the track for the glass/plexi to run on. Cut to size and install. Then figure out handles and locks, and enjoy never having a fully open tank -.-' Did I mention I hate sliding doors? I just can't stand only being able to get into 1/2 the tank at a time.

Anyways, I use the frame method for making hinged doors. As in build a frame from 4 pieces of wood, with an inset area for the glass. I use a table saw to make the frame & inset area (a groove so the glass is flush with the wood). Glue the frame together and silicone the glass to it. Attach hinges and handles and a lock. I'm probably not explaining this well at all, sorry.

Nick D.

Yes i suppose it is more advantageous to have a hinged door. Is the 1/8 in glass lowes sells thick enough? That's a rather large piece of glass; the front is 54in. Thanks, i'l probably use you're method. If the glass is too large i could double door it; with this, could one side be screen?

Nick D.

Il take that as a no then ha. Do they need it well ventilated like a bearded dragon? I would guess not since BTS like it a bit less dry than a dragon. What's the best way to ventilate?

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
My PVC tanks have vent holes already in them. My DIY tanks I cut vent holes in the sides/back and then cover it with metal screen (and make it look pretty). BTS tend to be tolerant when it comes to humidity, but make sure there's enough airflow that things wont mold/rot in the tank. On the other side of the coin, too much airflow and the tank is harder to keep warm. Adjustable vents are the way to go if you can find ones that work for your plan.

Nick D.

Thanks, youve been extremely helpful. One more question; I know there are many variables when it comes to heating with lighting, such as distance, ambient temp of the room, and as you said airflow, but what wattages do you use and at what distance. With the distance thing, do you have the lighting inside or outside of the enclosure? I ask so many questions because this is my first larger reptile.

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
My PVC tanks have 65w bulbs. I originally had bigger bulbs, but the whole tank got too warm. So I use 65w spot bulbs and then make a raised basking platform for the skink to thermoregulate. My lights are inside the 16-inch tanks. The skinks can actually touch the bulbs (I was worried at first) but they haven't tried that.

I appreciate the questions. It's the one topic I feel really confident in helping. In the other parts of this forum I'm such a newbie.

Nick D.

Thats good news on the lights then; there's always variables, but i was a little worried about using a high wattage bulb like 100 or more. just seems a like a little bit of a fire hazard. It's probably not because people use them all the time. I'll have to try out a couple different wattages once i get the enclosure finished, but a wattage that low is appealing. I also plan on raising the basking spot, since it does allow a better gradient.

I suppose i was wrong; One more question (at least for this thread, what exactly is the temp of your basking spot?

Last edited:

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
My basking spot fluctuates a bit depending on the room temperature, but on top of the hide it's between 100-105, and under the platform it's about 5 degrees cooler. I have a digital laser thermometer to keep track of my temps. My skinks usually stay under the platform to warm up. Exception is right after a meal they all go sleep on top of the platform to digest quicker.

Visit our friends