Leaf tail geckos

Sammag

For most of my life i have had leopard geckos so I want to try something new. I thought hey how bout leaftails so here I am. My question is what species of leaftails would be happy in a 20 gallon high aquarium with maybe a 1 male 3 female mix? Also what is the scientific name of that species and thanks. If the gecko is considered "hard" to keep I always love a challenge.

D

downthebeatenpath

Probably either the satanic or spear-point would be good in that setup, Uroplatus phantasticus is the satanic and I believe the spear-point is Uroplatus ebanaui.

scintillatingstar

on this forum you will not hear much. but on others you will be told that a 20 long is not enough space for a 1.3
They are also very expensive animals and you should be prepared to spend a large sum of money on the purchase and set up.
They also are extremely fragile animals and are really for display, not for handling. They are nothing like leopard geckos, unfortunatly.
They also vary in price tremendously between CB and WC. for CB phants you are looking at 200-300 plus shipping minimum.
1.3 is good for breeding, and i would only recommend purchasing them if you plan to breed, as they are endangered.

Honestly, the 'challange' that you speak of would be very unfair to the animals if you do not do a considerable amount of research. There are books such as svatek and van duin. You can buy it online. its hard to find, costs about a 100.

The uroplatus genus is quite difficult to care for. You should do your best to prepare yourself if that is the route you wish to take!

Hope this helps

Sammag

Hey sorry I haven't gotten back to you in a while but how would a 1.1 ratio or 1.2 would work out in my tank? In the end my intention is to breed them yes but only breed animals if I can house which is why I am curious whether or not my tank size is adequate.

Also right now I have both cricket and superworm colonies going. Will these foodstuffs be adequate for the gecko when gutloaded and such?

mynewturtle

You won't be able to keep 1.1 together year around. Why not just buy another 20 tall, and introduce them breeding season.

I tried keeping Uroplatus Henkeli, even with quite a bit of experience with aussie geckos, cresteds, leopards ect. I still had troubles with the species. I think you should get some easier species that relate a bit to the Uroplatus genus(leopards are way difrent) before you get into them, they are really cool looking but very hard to keep alive. Mine was with me for 9 months then I sold the pair to a buddy so he could breed them.

Good luck what ever you do, when buying WC please remember that sometimes even with the best care they might die.

Haroldo

Unfortunately, almost no one I know that has had any success with Uroplatus, keeps them in something as small as a 20g. In fact, one of my friends that has been working with phantasticus, has only had success recently...a 2.2 in a 55gallon and that was after 3 years of trying and finally giving them a spacious enclosure.

Uroplatus are a neat genus of geckos for sure, but they (Like most every gecko), do not care for handling. Focus on keeping successful, before even considering breeding. No species is necessarily difficult to keep, but your ability to do so will depend greatly in your husbandry skills and experience, your knowledge about the species, and your ability to notice and correct regimens for the better of the animal. I've said this before on another forum, but certainly applicable to this genus as a whole:

Having two adult animals (of the opposite sex) doesn't guarantee breeding.
A breeding pair doesn't even guarantee eggs.
A breeding pair producing eggs, doesn't guarantee fertile eggs.
Having a breeding pair producing fertile eggs, doesn't guarantee they'll hatch out.
Having fertile eggs hatch out into "hatchlings," doesn't guarantee they'll live.

That said, there are people around the world doing well with this genus. They are not the type of animal you should buy on a impulse though...

If you'd like to be put in touch with people that actually have years of experience with Uroplatus species, I can be the go-between...

Haroldo

mynewturtle said:
I tried keeping Uroplatus Henkeli, even with quite a bit of experience with aussie geckos, cresteds, leopards ect. I still had troubles with the species. I think you should get some easier species that relate a bit to the Uroplatus genus(leopards are way difrent) before you get into them, they are really cool looking but very hard to keep alive. Mine was with me for 9 months then I sold the pair to a buddy so he could breed them.

This is something I find most people just get plain wrong in this hobby:

Keeping gecko A doesn't really prepare you for keeping gecko B...even if they are in the same genus. Like a formal education, it is the skills you acquire in keeping a particular species, that might make you more capable. I currently keep over 50 species of geckos, from all over the world. Their natural habitats range from sahara grasslands to tropical rain forests. Even with some of the more delicate Phelsuma I keep (guimbeaui, ornata, cepediana, etc.), it wasn't necessarily my prior experience with other geckos that allowed me to keep them successfully. There are intraspecific and interspecific idiosyncracies among all animals and what sets you apart as a good keeper, is your ability to discern them...

*This wasn't an attack on you, but rather an earnest attack on this wide-spread fallacy...

MonteQ's

Very well said Haroldo! ... Everyone else too ;)

I did a ton of research prior to aquiring my first pair of Phantasticus, and still found my self somewhat under prepared. Even now, they still continue to surprise me.

As much as I love these geckos, I find my self not recommending them to anyone. It's not so much that they are tough to keep either. More that they require a very consistant and dedicated keeper. They really can't handle any lapses in their care.

Should you decide to take the plunge, please do plenty of research. And be willing to accept the commitment.

I keep pairs in 18x18x24 Exo Terras. Singles in 12x12x18's.
With Exo Terra 5.0 26 watt compact florescent bulbs 2 for larger tanks
The tanks should be pretty heavily planted. Use somewhat thin sticks to link different areas together. You will need a drainage layer. I use air line tubing and a syringe to drain the tanks periodically.

I have found they tend to like:

Schefflerra Arboricola
Ficus Benjamina
Pothos is a nice accent plant, though they rarely take advantage of them.

Feed 6ish crickets every other day dusted with calcium on occasion vitamins.

Temps should be 70-74 by day with a drop to 65-70 by night. Give them a little bit of light in the room at night.

Humidity and temps are very important. Too high of temps can kill them. Do not let the humidity drop below about 80%. If you do, they get very stressed, some will go into shed from a drop too. I usually mist them three times daily. Lights on, Mid afternoon, Lights off. This will take some experience to determine, you don't want the tank to be too wet all the time.

I give them about 12 hours of day and 12 of night, though you will find different suggestions on this based on the season.

I hope this helps...Please be sure to check out the care sheet I sent you. Here's the link again:

http://www.freewebs.com/thegeckofactory/caresheet.htm

If you'd like to be put in touch with people that actually have years of experience with Uroplatus species, I can be the go-between...

If you'd be willing to extend the offer, shoot me a pm. I'm always searching for more info or tips...especially from someone that's had success with these guys!

A

aquailshope

You won't be able to keep 1.1 together year around. Why not just buy another 20 tall, and introduce them breeding season.

Good luck what ever you do, when buying WC please remember that sometimes even with the best care they might die.

I try to keep most of my lizards (of all kinds) separately. I don't want them to harm eachother mainly.

Visit our friends