Leapord gecko enclosure help

Jwils

Hi, I’ve had my gecko for roughly 8 years. When we first had her we were advised by the pet shop that the red heat lamp was the way to go however upon research I’ve realised this is not a good option. I have bought a UVB tube today as an addition and she has vinyl flooring as substrate. 4 hides in total including her shedding hide. I have ordered a digital thermometer as another precaution however I do have a hygrometer and two thermometers already In the tank, however these are not digital. Looking for an alternative to the red heat lamp; a basking lamp would work however turning this off in the night would mean the temperature would drop too much, am I able to put a heat mat in a wooden vivarium? Any advice would be great

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
Hi, I’ve had my gecko for roughly 8 years. When we first had her we were advised by the pet shop that the red heat lamp was the way to go however upon research I’ve realised this is not a good option. I have bought a UVB tube today as an addition and she has vinyl flooring as substrate. 4 hides in total including her shedding hide. I have ordered a digital thermometer as another precaution however I do have a hygrometer and two thermometers already In the tank, however these are not digital. Looking for an alternative to the red heat lamp; a basking lamp would work however turning this off in the night would mean the temperature would drop too much, am I able to put a heat mat in a wooden vivarium? Any advice would be great
I would use a ceramic heat emmitter during the night since it doesn't show off any light but will still heat your enclosure, and I think I heard from someone that you can't use a heat mat in a wooden enclosure (Not a professional). I would use an Arcadia deep heat projector with a slate underneath for the basking spot, but that's pretty pricey so I use a halogen bulb

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I guess a ceramic heat emitter may be the best bet as something you can keep on 24/7 that doesn't give off even red light. Is the entire enclosure wooden? Does the gecko need a light to know when it's day and when it's night? Leopard geckos, being nocturnal, don't bask as a rule. If you're going to need a light, consider using the light for heat during the day and the CHE for heat during the night. I think using a heat generating light and a CHE at the same time dries out the air too much.

Aliza

Visit our friends