Leo hasn't been eating...WHY?

dsmalex97

Alright I have had this leo for almost a year now, I adopted him and has never been a problem for me. Hes usually a pig and devours food until he pukes(which he has done)lol! But for the last couple of weeks or so he hasn't eaten for me. Temperatures are good, 92 hot side, 75+ ambient temp. I was wondering if it was a little too low, but I have heard of people keeping them in these temps just fine so I ruled that out. I was feeding him normal "giant" meal worms and recently switched over to superworms about a month ago because they are bigger and figured it would fill him up faster. I am going to try switching to crickets and see what happens, or maybe try giving him a goliath worm(horned worms). Hes a male also, I don't know if males often go off feed like ball python males around this type of year maybe thats an option??? Help would be much appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some possibilities include:
he's tired of mealworms

he's getting to the size where he doesn't need to eat so often (how often do you feed him and how much does he weigh/how old is he)

he's decreasing intake because the days are getting shorter. That's happening with most of my adults

Aliza

dsmalex97

sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I don't have a comp at my house right now so I'm using a friends.

I understand that some slow there eating during certain seasons, but he stopped completely. I tried giving him crickets but that didn't do anything. Hes a fat guy though so I'm too worried, he almost looks like a fat tail gecko. I'm wondering if he is over-weight. When I would feed him mealworms he would eat about 8 of them, since i switched to superworms I usually give him like 3-4 depending on what he wants. His behavior also changed...He always seems tired, and his eyes are always shut. Usually at night his eyes are dialated and he looks like hes on the prowl, but now he just sleeps all day. He used to be a champ when it came to eating, but this last 3 weeks to a month he hasn't been too enthused about eating at all. How long can these guys fast for?

PS I would feed him every other day, to every day. If he would eat a lot the day before I wouldn't give him as much, but I would usually always offer.

Visit our friends