Leo Tank Size Question

mira_kaylee

Hello, I am going to be getting a leopard gecko soon and I had a question about the tank. For one Leopard Gecko, the minimum and maximum size tank should be what? I've read that the minimum can be 10gallons if it's only one but I've also heard that you should have them in nothing smaller than a 20gallon tank. Also, what is the maximum safe size tank? I may or may not be able to get a 50gallon tank for a decent price (I find out later this week), is that too big for one leo? It seems like it probably would be....I may end up getting a few more Leos in the future, but for now am only starting with one. (Which i get on December 31st)

Caleb C

It really depends on what you plan to do in the future. If you want more in the future, you might have to buy another enclosure, because the one you buy at Petco might be a male. If you get lucky and get a female, you can probably house other females with her. The minimum is a 10 gallon, but I move mine to bigger tanks as they grow. A 50 gallon can house 4-5, as long as it's long and not tall. The bigger the tank, the more expensive, since you will probably buy more hides, and a bigger heating pad.

mira_kaylee

OH that brings up a really good point that I didn't think about, the cost of the bigger heating pad and furnishing it....thank you lol, that completely slipped my mind....I think that I will just stick to my original plan of getting one or possibly two geckos in a 10 gallon tank and then upgrading them to a 20 gallon as they grow, possibly putting as many as 4 in a 20 gallon long but no more. Would that work okay?

Geckomaster743

Yeah dont do 4 to a 20. I had 5 in a 20 and within the first month every one was great until i discovered territory fights that involved biting and such. Every one needs at least 10 gallons to them self and you can fit 3 Per 20 Gallon. Heatpads are better then lights because you dont need to keep buying bulbs and they wont bother your geckos eyes.

Caleb C

It's always best to get a bigger tank, A 20 is great for a leo. I started out with a 10 gallon, and the space fills up quick, especially because of the hides. I only use 10 gallons for them to grow up in, then i switch them to bigger tanks. There's minimal walking space for your leo if it only has a 10 gallon, because you need both a humid hide and a dry hide, one on each side. If you want more decorations or more hides, it's going to be really cramped. I use a 40 gallon, and there's plenty of space for anything I want to put in.​
Where are you getting your gecko? And what city do you live in? You should make an introduction thread, and I hope you're here to stay :)

Visit our friends