Leo won't eat

muskiemagic

I got my gecko ( Gretchen ) a little over a year ago and up until the past month she has been doing very well. I believe she is a she from what I can tell. I have her in an Exo Tera 18x36x12 enclosure ( see pics ) and for heat Im using a 50 watt halogen as well as a 50 watt Arcadia heat projection bulb. I live in a basement so need both to keep my air temps up. I also have and under tank heater set to 90 degrees via a thermostat underneath her hot hide. My hot side air temps range from 83 to 85 and cool side around 73. Normally she eats between 15-20 dubias or meal worms or a mix each feeding easily. Feeding schedule is every other day using plain calcium and each 3rd feeding Rapashy plus with D3. The past month I have only been able to get her to eat maybe 10 bugs. She just looks at them and licks them. I have noticed she still goes to the bathroom every once and awhile so I'm pretty much eliminating impaction as the problem. She also used to spend the vast majority of her time inside her hot hide but now she hardly ever goes into it. She either sits in her humid hide or under her log mid tank. She looks and acts healthy but the appetite has become a concern. I have heard that sometimes at the beginning of spring geckos may stop eating because of breeding season. Not sure if that's true or not. Last year around this time of year she did quit eating for maybe a week to a week and a half so maybe it is true. But this time it is going on a month. Any possible conclusions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220406_141956.jpg
    thumbnail_20220406_141956.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail_20220406_142118.jpg
    thumbnail_20220406_142118.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail_20220406_142324.jpg
    thumbnail_20220406_142324.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's true that many females don't eat much in the early part of the breeding season because they're ovulating. These guys can go for quite awhile without eating with no real consequences. Most of mine aren't eating that much either. Keep offering and don't worry. It will change eventually.

Aliza

Visit our friends