Leopard gecko breeding

Maddy123

How do you breed them.I know u put them into a tank with a boy and girl(duu) but is there a certain temputure or stuff i need to know about?Whats the best substrate?How long do u keep the female with the male?Can 1 boy live with the females all his life?Hope somebody can help.:)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Before breeding you will need to make sure you have two very happy geckos. They're environment, temps, humidity, etc will all need to be very close to perfect before they start thinking about breeding. You will also need to make sure they have a healthy diet and lots to eat. Mating them will take a lot of energy out of them both, especially the female.

Geckomaster743

Breeding Geckos is pretty easy if you can fit the Requirements, And before you think about breeding make sure it wont kill your female. Alot of the time people will try breeding a Female that has some Disabilites. I reccomend you seriously never breed a Gecko that may have any Disorders. For Example I will never breed my Gecko Athena because she has a problem with Eatting, If i bred her theres a chance that she may never get back on eatting Again. Your Geckos Health is the Most Important thing In breeding. Let me list some Requirements: ( Please Scroll Down and READ this all, I hand wrote this and Its VERY important. Im only Writing this much because i Care ( This is all my Knowledge for you :)

1. Your Male and Female Geckos have to Both be Healthy ( Enigma Syndrome Does not count but make sure the Effect is not too great or your Gecko will be in Danger during breeding ). Poor Health = Poor Hatch-lings ----> Death to Parents and Hatch-lings

2. Temps must always be at 80 - 90F During the day and 65 - 75 at Night so your Geckos Stay warm and Healthy.

3. Have an Incubator Ready ( Make Sure it Works and Use a Thermometer to check if its at the Temp for your Eggs when they are Laid )

4. Make sure your Geckos are Up to Date with there Vitamin/Calcium Dusting on there Insects ( DO NOT OVERDOSE! ) Vitamin A has been Proven Toxic and Beta Carotene has been quoted " No Matter how much you give your Geckos Beta Carotene they will not be able to use it the same way they use Vitamin A " - Gecko Time ( Those are not Exact words but they Sum it up ). Though Vitamin A has been Quoted Toxic its not bad for your Geckos just dont give them too much of it or too much for any other Vitamin, Calcium is alright to give them but make sure when your Dusting your Insects you have an even Ratio of Vitamins and Calcium, It justs helps to have an Even amount in there Bodies, ( The Reason Humans are Encouraged to get Vitamin A - B - C - D - E - B2 is because our Diet is so poorly supplemented that the Average American/Canadian/International dose not get the proper Vitamins because our Food are so processed, On the other hand your geckos food has Vitamins but the stuff we feed them is not what they eat in the wild only Similar, Since there Diet cant be Replicated its IMPORTANT they get there vitamins).

5. Remember your Geckos can have Disorders ( Missing Toes - Missing Leg - Bad Eye Lids - Infected Eye Ball - Infected organs - Incomplete Tail - Tail Kink - Etc ). To Avoid this Follow Steps 3 & 4. Infection/Disorder is normally caused by a Vitamin A Lack. MBD ( Bad Bone Structure - Weak Bones ) is caused by the Lack of Calcium Its very important they get that or they will not ever be able to breed. Remember VITAMIN A + Calcium = Good Hatchlings & Healthy Parents!!! If there is any thing i prefer that you use Reptical ( Calcium - Can be Found at Pet Stores/Online ), And you will have to find another Source for Vitamin A, The Brand for Reptical made some thing Called Herpative to go with it but that Contains Beta Carotene.

6. Do your Research. Every one says " Breeding them is Easy ". Well its true but dont forget its a responsibility, The Pros say its easy because they Study, Its now our turn to do the Studying and hopefully work out some great Hatchlings.

7. Ask your Self why your breeding. Dont Forget your Bringing some thing in to Existince, And if your breeding to Sell make sure that you dont make a Crappy Website. There are already some High Scores that are Unbeatable on the Leader board dont get to Hastey.

8. Have Fun. This is a Land Mark be prepared to Enjoy some thing that Billions of People wont Witness.

Thanks for Reading this! I used all my Head Knowledge here! Come on give me an applaude!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
How do you breed them.I know u put them into a tank with a boy and girl(duu) but is there a certain temputure or stuff i need to know about?Whats the best substrate?How long do u keep the female with the male?Can 1 boy live with the females all his life?Hope somebody can help.:)
Leopard Geckos have no special requirements to breed in captivity. If you meet their requirements to be live and be comfortable and happy, they'll breed. Keeping the male and female together all the time is okay, as long as they get along normally. I keep my breeders together all season, but a female will store sperm from one mating and use it to lay eggs all season.
I recommend you do alot reading on the subject before you do it. Jacob (Darkmaster) has some great points, and you should be sure you can feed and find homes for all the hatchlings. A single female will lay 2 eggs every 3 weeks for totals of 12-24 babies. Thats alot of hungry mouths to feed!

Try this website www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingLeopards.htm

Geckomaster743

Maddy if you have any more Questions i prefer you ask Leolover ( Meg ). She has alot more Exp in breeding then i do, I only know Starting points and Preperation, After the EGG is Laid don't come running to me :p ( Im still learning after an Egg is Laid, Never had Hatchlings or Eggs before. )

Visit our friends