Leopard Gecko Eating Problem

jc555

Hi ive had my female leopard gecko for about 2 years now, shes been eating fine her whole life, until the past 2 weeks or so. Shes eating moderately i feed her every other day mealworms which she has digested and all just fine, but shes active and all. But lately i give her mealworms and she seems to have difficulty spotting them and sometimes she does but almost every time she bites them she lets go right after. This is extremely strange to me hence i have other reptiles and this simply dosent make sense. Just was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if someone had advice thanks.

Info:
Eats mealworms every other day, 2 days calcium w/o D3, 1 day calcium w/D3, 1 day w/multivitamins, lives in a 10g, with a heatpad and infared basking light. I as well would like to note she’s excreting normally and is active and i have not noticed any physical change.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Many leopard gecko females are ovulating and not that interested in eating. I have seen them sometimes start and then change their minds. She may be bored with the mealworms. If you have it in you, you could try some crickets to see if they get a different response. If she's active and not losing weight, you may just have to live with a period of time where she eats less. It's amazing to me how long they can go with little or no food and be fine. I do feel that possibly you are providing too much supplementation. I feed mine twice a week, once with no supplements and once with Repashy calcium plus which is an all-in-one. Consider doing one feeding with no supplementation.

Aliza

jc555

Many leopard gecko females are ovulating and not that interested in eating. I have seen them sometimes start and then change their minds. She may be bored with the mealworms. If you have it in you, you could try some crickets to see if they get a different response. If she's active and not losing weight, you may just have to live with a period of time where she eats less. It's amazing to me how long they can go with little or no food and be fine. I do feel that possibly you are providing too much supplementation. I feed mine twice a week, once with no supplements and once with Repashy calcium plus which is an all-in-one. Consider doing one feeding with no supplementation.

Aliza

Ok thanks for the advice, she did eat a little today but what you said makes sense. I was just afraid she might have eye problems as i can’t tell if she can’t see them or is refusing.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have an annoying number of geckos that hunted just fine at one time and have now become clumsy, or maybe lazy. I have no doubt that they can see, though.

Aliza

jc555

I have an annoying number of geckos that hunted just fine at one time and have now become clumsy, or maybe lazy. I have no doubt that they can see, though.

Aliza
Yeah it is just annoying that i put food directly next to her and she sometimes acts as if nothing even happened

kormath

My Leo does the same thing. I use silicon tongs to feed him meal worms or giant meal worms, whatever the LPS has in stock here.

Mine acts like he forgot what to do with his tongue a few weeks back. He bites the worm then pushes it out of his mouth with his tongue.

What's weird is he doesn't do this as often when they're dusted with calcium, he usually gobbles them right down, except just now when I fed him, back to the tongue push.

I'm heading to the city Saturday, I'll try crickets from there, any other good feeders I can get from pets Mart or Petco?

kormath

Mine do this when they aren't really that hungry. They aren't blind, they just aren't driven to really concentrate on hunting.
So i'm feeding mine to often maybe? he's 2 years old beginning of May. He just molted this past weekend and this was the first feeding since then, he wouldn't touch the worms until last night.

indyana

It's definitely possible, depending how many worms you are feeding. I feed my adults 1-2 times per week. Once they stop growing, they require a lot less food unless they are breeding females.

Visit our friends