Leopard gecko eating too much calcium?

ZNature

So I got a female leopard gecko last month and she has been eating so much calcium out of her calcium dish! There has to be a bit less than a tablespoon in there and it’s nearly gone now! She is a juvenile(8 months) so I guess it’s probably because she’s growing. But all that calcium has made her poop a gray or light brown color which isn’t really normal Leo poop color so I’m not sure if this is really good for her. I dust her food with multivitamin without d3 and calcium+d3 too. Any thoughts?

JadedGeckos

uhm.. i dont think its anything bad with too much calcium other than they can get that weird lump in thier armpits from too much supplements. wich is removed by more UV(since they might not have gotten enough) or less supplements. but since she is young she might just really like to eat it just like small leos do with sand. maybe take the cup out for a few days and just let her get the calcium etc from the dusting. shouldnt hurt to try for a few days to see her poop get to normal or not. if it does then it should just be her taking too much calcium and her body shitting it out.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have heard that it can be a problem to over supplement geckos. I just did some online research and haven't found anything I'd really trust, though. A few sources say that the problem with over supplementation is more an issue of providing too much vitamin D3. Unfortunately, a lot of times on the internet there's one post with an opinion disguised as a fact that has no basis and then all the other sites start quoting that. I discovered this when I was researching nutritional content of feeder insects for an article and it turned out that everyone was re-copying the same inaccurate chart.

All I can say is that since 2009 I have not been leaving calcium in my geckos' cages (except for hatchlings when I was breeding them) and no one has ever gotten MBD.

Aliza

ZNature

I have heard that it can be a problem to over supplement geckos. I just did some online research and haven't found anything I'd really trust, though. A few sources say that the problem with over supplementation is more an issue of providing too much vitamin D3. Unfortunately, a lot of times on the internet there's one post with an opinion disguised as a fact that has no basis and then all the other sites start quoting that. I discovered this when I was researching nutritional content of feeder insects for an article and it turned out that everyone was re-copying the same inaccurate chart.

All I can say is that since 2009 I have not been leaving calcium in my geckos' cages (except for hatchlings when I was breeding them) and no one has ever gotten MBD.

Aliza
Oh ok thanks! Yeah even though leopard geckos are so popular as reptile pets there is still so much misinformation floating around about them! When I was researching to get my first Leo I remember thinking sand was ok and a lot of other things were fine for Leo’s but I was all wrong and thankfully before I got my first Leo I did lots and lots of more research and found the right care guides and tank setup info to follow. Now I take in Leo’s and find them homes as my hobby. I also took out her calcium dish and I’m just dusting her feeders with multivitamin without d3 and calcium with d3 and I’ve also been feeding my Dubia roaches some feed which has calcium in it because they really go crazy for it and breed better when they are eating it.

ZNature

She was also the gecko who had the bad smelling waste I mentioned in another thread and now her waste doesn’t really smell anymore so I wonder if it had to do with what she had been eating in her previous home or if she was just getting used to the new feeders I was giving her?

Visit our friends