Leopard gecko escape artist

logany776

Hello! I’m new to this forum and I want to do a little intro before my actual post. A year ago I got my first baby Leo her name is charmander she’s amazing however she had MBD but is doing much better now! The a few months ago my best friend moved and didn’t have time for her Leo who is 4 her name is rex (she thiught Rex was a boy and I found out she wasn’t but kept the name).

I made a gecko bookshelf for charmander after getting her but due to her MBD switched her back to glass because it was reccomended to help her digest calcium better. So I switched her and Rex which is fine the bookshelf is about 30 inches in length and Rex is much larger than charmander so I thought this would not be an issue. The bookshelf has two hooks on either side at the top and little rubber bumpers (like between a glass coffee table and wood underneath to keep it from directly touching or for your heating pads to be kind of raised up) hot glued to the bottom so the plexiglass sits in between them. Well Rex has pushed at the bumpers to try to escape and loosened them 4 times now. The first three times I found her that same day hiding somewhere close by however on the 4th time I could not find her anywhere. I live in a 2 story with 2 dogs so I was not very hopeful of her return. 25 days later I find her behind the dryer (looking slightly chubby than before) on the first floor of my house while her tank is on the second! I’m watching her and she is pushing and rubbing her body against the plexiglass and I think she’s trying to escape again! Any advice as to why she might be trying to escape?? Her tank isn’t too hot it get 92 degrees at max on warm side and about 70-75 on cool side. I have reinforced the heck out of the tank hopefully she won’t get out again but I just want to know why she doesn’t want to be in there! I’ve had for about 6 months now.

Also she use to live in a 10 gallon but she is in my opinion too big for a 10 gal she’s longer than my hand by a few inches.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you made a tank that was 1 mile wide, there's a chance that the gecko would walk to the end of it and try to get out! I don't think it's because it doesn't want to be in there, I think it's just because it's exploring and there's a barrier so it wants to get through it.

Aliza

Visit our friends