Leopard gecko eye issues...

Mikayla

My leopard gecko ziggy is having an issue with his right eye. For a while he had just been keeping it shut, but when he is roaming around his tank he has it wide open. I notice that there is yellowish brownish crusty still on the top of his bad eye. Is that an eye cap? He did shed about 2 weeks ago. He is a naturally lazy hunter so I feed him mealies with tongs most of the time anyways, but he WAS still capable of hunting despite his eye. Although tonight I went to go feed him and he refused the mealies... Its been 3 days now since he hasnt eaten.. he is an albino so he of course strains a bit more in the light. I'm curious as to see what you think this may be and how to fix it. I use reptile carpet, not sand, and he is 9 months old, he gets mealies every other day and the proper amount of calcium and mineral powder. Please, Any advice is appreciated. Please ask questions as well!

Mikayla

I'm not sure how well you can see this but the bigger eye is the bad one! bottom picture shows the filmy substance over top.
14614221_1587584448217611_2105438402_o.jpg 14646737_1587584484884274_1067567225_o.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to tell much from the pictures. Sometimes a gecko can get a little scratch on the eyelid or on the eye itself and it can get irritated and possibly even infected. Sometimes there's a little bit of shed or something else under the eyelid. I would recommend swabbing it gently with a q-tip and warm water and looking at it with a magnifying glass to see if there's any foreign material there. If that doesn't work, the gecko needs a visit with a reptile vet (arav.org).

Aliza

Mikayla

I think that is one of the possibilities, we feed him with tongs so they couldve hit his eye as well... but i noticed it right after he shed so it makes sense. Although for 4 days now he has not wanting to eat and is having trouble seeing the worm. He ate 5 last night but it took a long time as he coudnt see at all so i had to guide him with my fingers.

Visit our friends