Leopard Gecko Fight Baby Hatchling

Geckomaster743

Well all i have to say is today sucks. I came to find my new Petsmart baby hatchling with out a tail. I feel like such a fool for letting that male back in.. He had been sitting in a container and i felt so cruel by having to separate him from the others so i placed some plastic dividers and left. When i came back i found the hatchling panicking and her tail was out of sight. I can only assume the male ate it. What should i do?

I stuffed her with Meal worms ( 5 )
I force fed her Water
I separated her in to a Private Enclosure
I looked for other wounds.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Keep her separate! This was probably pretty traumatic for her, so give her some quiet time for a couple of days. If she's eating, that's a pretty good sign, but keep an eye on her anyway.

Geckomaster743

Keep her separate! This was probably pretty traumatic for her, so give her some quiet time for a couple of days. If she's eating, that's a pretty good sign, but keep an eye on her anyway.
Yeah she's so Excited to eat so thats nothing to worry about but see I'm not sure who attacked her. There were 4 Other Geckos with her and I've already narrowed it down. Before i came to my moms house this week she was with 2 other geckos that she had no problem with so they probably werent the start of this. Another gecko ( My Most tame ) treats all geckos that are younger then her like a mother so she would definitely not be the cause of this. Though Thesus was sitting in a container because my dad refused to buy a cage so i placed a Divider hoping that she and other geckos would not approach him. When i came back she didn't have her tail and she wasn't on that side of the divider making me think ether.

1. Artimies ( Could have ) attacked her and mistaken her for some thing she was going to eat. ( Doubt it but its possible )
2. ( Most likley ) She went up to thesus and was attacked, then she fled back to her place.
Im not sure but ether way I promised my self I wouldn't let my Geckos die over me being irresponsible... She looks like she will recover easy but I'm just worried about Infection and how young she is. She's so small its as if she's 15 - 20 Days old. Then the problem with infection is i don't know how to treat it, I don't have Medicine ( If you guys can give me some names and suppliers I'll buy some now ) and then theres no Herp vet near me. ( I made sure to check and I'm not sure my parents would want to spend money on a Reptile that they don't really value. ) So I'm hoping for the best for now but ANY advice will be accepted.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I've never heard about an infection from a dropped tail. It's a pretty common event, especially in the wild. Blood flow is cut off very quickly so I would think there isn't much change for any bacteria/etc to get into the gecko, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows?

Here's some info about medications for reptiles. You may be able to order something online. It's probably a good idea to keep an antibiotic around in case you ever need it, since you don't have a vet near you.
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

Geckomaster743

I've never heard about an infection from a dropped tail. It's a pretty common event, especially in the wild. Blood flow is cut off very quickly so I would think there isn't much change for any bacteria/etc to get into the gecko, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows?

Here's some info about medications for reptiles. You may be able to order something online. It's probably a good idea to keep an antibiotic around in case you ever need it, since you don't have a vet near you.
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

Oh, Though still an open wound is always at risk and I've seen people always saying you should treat it to kill bacteria. Is it possible ( Even if its 1% Chance ) to fully regrow there tail and it have it show almost no sign of falling.

leiah

and now it seems like all the other lizards are bullying her :( i feel bad for her

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
You can use Neosporin on it. It works really well. Fortunately when a lizard drops its tail like that, their body shuts down the blood supply quickly. This prevents blood loss and infection. The tail will regrow, but the bones do not. That is why the regrown tail always has a "bulbous" look to it.

I'm so sorry this happened, but she should recover quickly. Don't make yourself too miserable, these things unfortunatly do happen. To all of us. No matter how careful you are, your critters will find ways to baffle and amaze you!

Geckomaster743

You can use Neosporin on it. It works really well. Fortunately when a lizard drops its tail like that, their body shuts down the blood supply quickly. This prevents blood loss and infection. The tail will regrow, but the bones do not. That is why the regrown tail always has a "bulbous" look to it.

I'm so sorry this happened, but she should recover quickly. Don't make yourself too miserable, these things unfortunatly do happen. To all of us. No matter how careful you are, your critters will find ways to baffle and amaze you!
Oh so it will never regrow, Is it possible to ever make an artificial bone for it to grow around? Or is it that the Artifical Bone wouldn't do any good being there because its not moveable. But any way Im always trying to be super carful with my geckos. This was just unfortunate and it was my mistake. I noticed that he bullied Athena and all the other geckos. I was so stupid to even think of putting him back, But i felt sorry for him. I didn't have a cage for him that day and he was sitting in a plastic box with out heat. I put him in there hoping he would just stay in his cup and leave every one alone.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
You know, I think geckos really prefer to live alone anyway. Especially the boys.

You baby's tail will grow, but it will be weird looking. Check out this male. I bought him with his tail that way. He must have lost it when he was pretty small.
000_0436 web.jpg

Geckomaster743

Woah thats weird, And just an update things are beginning to go for the worst. She's begun refusing meal worms and won't accept repta - aid. I have to force her to drink it. Though now i have a new problem. The other 4 that were previously were with her have split in to 2 Sides. They have allied and are taking each other on. I had noticed that two of the other geckos had suddenly became dominant and they were licking the cage a lot but i know realize its 2 on 2. I waited to see my geckos behavior after i left and the moment i turned off the light the attack begun. The dominant male attacked the weaker Female and the Dominant Female attacked the weaker Male or female. The weaker ones preferred not to fight but even after we put the divider down there licking the divider. I don't know when this so called truce formed but I'm starting to think they prefer to live alone. Its too much of a hassle just to keep them together. I experience some sort of insomnia every night that keeps me awake because I'm too busy thinking about them. Any ideas on separation with out expensive glass terrariums? And what should i do right now?

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Sounds like they need some 'alone time'. Plastic storage containers work great, and are pretty cheap. Mostly transparent, heating is the main problem. But a carefully positioned red bulb in a garage light (the metal ones are like 10 bucks from home improvement stores) can help hold you over until a more permanent set-up. You can shine the light on 2 or more conatiners at a time, especially if you stack them.

Geckomaster743

Sounds like they need some 'alone time'. Plastic storage containers work great, and are pretty cheap. Mostly transparent, heating is the main problem. But a carefully positioned red bulb in a garage light (the metal ones are like 10 bucks from home improvement stores) can help hold you over until a more permanent set-up. You can shine the light on 2 or more conatiners at a time, especially if you stack them.
Right now what i do is I leave them in the Plastic containers before i sleep to make sure no one gets harmed but before they self i take them out and shine the bulb on the paper towel. The paper towel stays warm all night and still circulates so they stay warm. Though i may have to stop doing that because they seem to be getting dehydrated. I'll just start making sure every one drinks water. Until then i need some inexpensive places to buy or make a rack, Any DIY Tips?

Visit our friends