Leopard gecko food recommendations??

Yas97

So Herbert hasn’t eaten in about 5 days he turns his head up everytime I try and feed him or he looks away he’s not at all interested in them so I think he’s gone off them.. I was researching what else I can feed him so I found calci worms? Is this a good food choice he’s currently on mealworms but as I said I think he’s gone off those..

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Wax worms are very fatty and not a staple solution. Many geckos get bored with mealworms eventually because they don't move much. I feed crickets and super worms (I promised my family no roaches). Try another feeder and see what happens.

Aliza

Yas97

I think I might try super worms as I’ve tried crickets before but he wasn’t too keen..

AndyBunn

Wax worms are very fatty and not a staple solution. Many geckos get bored with mealworms eventually because they don't move much. I feed crickets and super worms (I promised my family no roaches). Try another feeder and see what happens.

Aliza
Oh crap. Should I stop feeding him wax worms then?
I've been giving him them as a treat.

Aliza you are a font of gecko wisdom!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as the gecko doesn't reject all other food in favor of waxworms you're probably OK. One thing that no one told me about waxworms (someone gave me a small amount so I used them on the geckos) is that they turned into waxmoths more quickly than I was expecting!

Aliza

Yas97

So I’ve tried crickets again he done very well and ate about 6 of them but didn’t pass any stool last night.. I tried to feed him again tonight but he wasn’t having it probably due to him not passing stool yet

free-pizza

So I’ve tried crickets again he done very well and ate about 6 of them but didn’t pass any stool last night.. I tried to feed him again tonight but he wasn’t having it probably due to him not passing stool yet
I wouldn't worry too much. Give it time, he will pass his stool. If not, keep an eye on his belly for any signs of discoloration. This could mean impaction. Of course, you need to make sure there is a warm spot (95 degrees) for him to lay for digestion.

Meagan129

I’d personally probably stay away from things like wax worms! Mine aren’t super into the meal worms either so they eat mostly crickets and roaches are another option too! Both of mine really like them and I’ve heard they’re pretty good as far as nutrition goes. Crickets are just the most readily available to me that they’ll always take.

TexAg91

When my Leo was <8weeks, he was pretty enthused with BSFL. Then he went to maybe a couple each feeding. He's a little over 11 weeks now and the last few feedings he just looks at a BSFL and crawls away. But mealworms and dubias? He's all over that. I just ordered some small super-worms. We'll see how that goes.

White Shaq

I feed my leopard geckos super worms and they love them. I only give wax worms as treat and randomly give mealworms. I started them off on crickets but they eventually got over them.

White Shaq

yes they are a great for everyday feeding. but you should also sometimes get mealworms or something else just so they get some variety

My gecko is pretty picky as well and due to my location I've been working on finding him a variety of feeders that agree with him. So far his favorites are silkworms, mealworms and superworms. I've also tried butterworms and waxworms and I'm working on getting a viable colony of bottle fly spikes. Butterworms, waxworms and superworms are all a bit fattier (especially wax and butterworms) so those are definitely treats for healthy adult geckos.

I do know that keeping an eye on their tail thickness is a good tip because sometimes, these critters do go on 'hunger strikes.' I have been through it due to mating season, general pickiness and colder temperatures.

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure where you would be able to find them, is there somewhere that will ship them to you online? I don't really have a pet store where I am, so I ship all my bugs live to me and put them in tupperwares with bran or oat bedding and carrots for food and water or containers keep them alive and healthy for longer.

Visit our friends