Leopard Gecko - Giants Gene

Geckomaster743

Now im not sure if the Giants gene occures in Crested Geckos or Tokay's but... Does the Giant gene mean a Gecko can breed Early early because its Weight gain is really fast and it surpasses the normal limit? Basicly Normal Gecko = 1 Year
Giants Gene = 6mth - Example
Does that mean since the Giants at 40G can it breed?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I don't think the weight means that they can breed any quicker than normal - I could be very wrong though

Geckomaster743

I don't think the weight means that they can breed any quicker than normal - I could be very wrong though
A lot of the time people say that when they Reach 40G they can breed which is true its a Safe weight for a Gecko, But with the Giants gene they reach 40G faster then the Normal Gecko. Does that mean since they have reached the Safe weight limit that they can breed there or the Giants gene has its own Weight limit

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
Found this on Tremper's Giant Leo FAQ:
The male Giants are sexually mature in 90 days or less. The female Giants are best paired up at 7-9 months of age or 55+ grams

For a normal female gecko to breed it needs to have time to fully sexually mature, have enough fat stores to safely produce eggs, and have a large enough frame to lay the eggs. None of these things are dependant on the geckos weight, however, for an average size gecko weight is a decent rule of thumb that they meet all those criteria.
At around 40 grams a normal gecko is around full grown and has at least some fat store so it is an ok indicator that they can breed. A 40 g giant would be either immature or underweight so I don't think the rule would hold.

Giant's don't mature any faster than normal geckos, and the percentage of body weight necessary for a healthy pregnancy stays about the same meaning that a larger gecko is going to need a proportional amount of fat. I'm not sure but I believe the the eggs are a bit larger as well meaning some extra size is probably necessary.

Last of all young geckos tend to need every bit of their nutrients for healthy growth, and producing eggs takes a tremendous amount of nutrients and energy. This means that even if the gecko can physically conceive and lay eggs, her growth and health are likely to be affected if she carries eggs before being fully mature

Geckomaster743

Found this on Tremper's Giant Leo FAQ:
The male Giants are sexually mature in 90 days or less. The female Giants are best paired up at 7-9 months of age or 55+ grams

For a normal female gecko to breed it needs to have time to fully sexually mature, have enough fat stores to safely produce eggs, and have a large enough frame to lay the eggs. None of these things are dependant on the geckos weight, however, for an average size gecko weight is a decent rule of thumb that they meet all those criteria.
At around 40 grams a normal gecko is around full grown and has at least some fat store so it is an ok indicator that they can breed. A 40 g giant would be either immature or underweight so I don't think the rule would hold.

Giant's don't mature any faster than normal geckos, and the percentage of body weight necessary for a healthy pregnancy stays about the same meaning that a larger gecko is going to need a proportional amount of fat. I'm not sure but I believe the the eggs are a bit larger as well meaning some extra size is probably necessary.

Last of all young geckos tend to need every bit of their nutrients for healthy growth, and producing eggs takes a tremendous amount of nutrients and energy. This means that even if the gecko can physically conceive and lay eggs, her growth and health are likely to be affected if she carries eggs before being fully mature
Alright good to know. I guess keeping them for a Year and Half would guarntee they are ready to mate. Im not worried about Incubation or health because i have that covered but i just wanted to see whats the big deal with Giants. I once read " The Giant gene makes a Gecko More Valuable ". I guessed the Value was that they could breed Earlier.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I'd wait to breed them. Weight is really a guideline for normal size geckos. A giant would need to be adjusted for their larger final size. So I agree that I'd wait until they're closer to 9 months to 1 year old before trying and breed them.

Visit our friends