Leopard Gecko Handling

JesseJinx

I've had my Leo just shy of 2 weeks now and he/she still runs when I go to get him/her out. He/she also hides 90% of time. How long does it normally take for them to adjust to being handled?

Medic1167

Every gecko is a bit different some it's a few days, some it's weeks. Mine took about 5 weeks before it would willingly come out and not run if I put my hand near him.
Go slow. Place your hand in the tank near it but not so it feels threatened and stay put for a few min so it can get used to you. It may take a few tries before they venture closer to check you out. I even tried putting a meal worm in my palm to coax him closer but he wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Eventually you may be able to gently pick it up and handle him but do so with care as the tend to bolt if frightened.
Good luck and just be patient.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I second the "go slow" part. Give him time and do your best not to freak him out. You'll want to avoid loud noises, bright lights, fast movements, etc. Essentially sneak up on him but do it as he's watching

lisa127

Is it a baby gecko? If so, getting older and bigger will definitely make a big difference. As babies that's how they are. If they weren't, they wouldn't make it long in the wild!

Visit our friends