Leopard Gecko not eating

BuddyTony

my 8 month old leopard gecko has stopped eating he usually eats mealworms out of his dish but he stopped 5 days ago and has pooped once since but his behavior is normal still active running around and alive i didnt notice him shedding and i made no changes to his enclosure

kspiers1127

Hello! I have read and researched myself that sometimes reptiles can just stop liking the food they’ve been so used too. If anything I would just try switching it up to crickets or maybe even dubias. If they don’t go for those then definitely get it checked out!! Hope this helps!!

BuddyTony

so i bought these black soldier fly larvae and she ate 5 of them and then pooped but then stopped eating again like im so confused lol

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They're like toddlers. They eat. . . they don't eat . . . . somehow they survive. Offer a variety if possible (some geckos prefer food that moves more as they mature, so if you have it in you to try a few crickets or super worms go for it). I've had leopard geckos not eat for weeks. As long as its behavior is usual and the tail isn't getting noticeably thinner it's probably fine, just frustrating for you.

Aliza

BuddyTony

They're like toddlers. They eat. . . they don't eat . . . . somehow they survive. Offer a variety if possible (some geckos prefer food that moves more as they mature, so if you have it in you to try a few crickets or super worms go for it). I've had leopard geckos not eat for weeks. As long as its behavior is usual and the tail isn't getting noticeably thinner it's probably fine, just frustrating for you.

Aliza
it is frustrating lol but that makes sense and its good to know im not the only one whose encountered this i feel better now just gonna let her do her thing till shes hungry again haha thank you for the help!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
No problem. I survived twin toddlers, so I have a more laid back attitude (they're 26 now and it's no longer my problem).

Aliza

EricCartman

You can always try tongs and shake the mealworms so that he sees it. I also would recommend using crickets as a staple food instead of mealworms (have mealworms as an additional food source) because mealworms have less nutritional value than crickets. Hope your Leo is alright :)

Visit our friends