leopard gecko tail still skinny

suriiyukii

(See photos) I have attached the general info questionnaire as well as some photos of Yuka recently. I've only had Yuka for about a month and some days but they've always had a fairly thin tail. I am starting to get quite concerned because Yuka eats VERY well (the first few feedings I had done I followed the general rule to let them eat until they can't anymore-- big mistake because Yuka ended up overindulging and regurgitating one time the last 2 crickets I had fed em during that feeding-- he is VERY eager for food always and is prone to overeating until throwing up), poops normally, is active and alert and yet their tail does not seem to be getting any bigger. Regardless, I do plan on contacting a local exotic/reptile vet to see the costs for stool samples and general examinations but I would still greatly appreciate any advice on what I can try to do in the meantime. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

About your leo:
- Sex: unknown
- Age & Weight: ~4-5 months, unknown (very skittish with handling)
- How long have you owned your leo: ~1 month +
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend): pet store (dont hate me... reptiles are not common around me)

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo: try to once a day or every other day-- not handling per se but leaving my hand in the tank, approaching slowly w my hand, letting em come to me rather than me to them
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now.: not acting any different, still alert, still active
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.: not that i know of, no
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal): fecals look normal-- goes to the bathroom 2-3 times a day which is fairly normal for a juvenile/young leo
- When was the last time he/she went: earlier today before feeding
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on: had yuka for a month or so now and tail has not gotten any fatter despite eating normally, pooing normally, supplemented in diet by dusting and gut loading, etc etc.

Housing
:
A) Enclosure
- Size: 20 gallon long
- Type (ex. glass tank): aquarium glass tank
- Type of substrate: cabinet/cupboard liner
- Hides, how many, what kind: three-- hot, cool and humid
B) Heating
- Heat source: heat mat
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side): hot side 91.5-92 F, cool side 73-75 F
- Method of regulating heat source: thermostat
- What are you using to measure your temps: thermostat, thermometer, hygrometer
- Do you have any lights (describe): n/a, ambient lighting in my room is always bright except at night-- gecko is supplemented d3 in diet
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females): n/a
- Describe health, or previous problems: overall, gecko seems to be healthy besides the one physical flaw. not sure of any previous problems.

Describe Die
t:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much): crickets, ~10-15, once a day
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect): feeding tongs or by putting crickets in glass jar for dusting and releasing 2-3 at a time into enclosure
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands): zoomed reptivite w/o vit d3, zoomed repticalcium w/ d3
- What are you gut loading food with: veggies i.e cucumbers, carrots, sometimes even an apple but very rarely unless i am out of either carrots or cucumbers

Attachments

• IMG_2268.PNG
    IMG_2268.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2269.PNG
    IMG_2269.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 6

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree that the tail does look kind of thin but everything else seems to be OK. If you can get a gram scale, it may be worth it to weigh her weekly. It certainly wouldn't hurt for her to go to a reptile vet.

Aliza

suriiyukii

I agree that the tail does look kind of thin but everything else seems to be OK. If you can get a gram scale, it may be worth it to weigh her weekly. It certainly wouldn't hurt for her to go to a reptile vet.

Aliza
Yeah Yuka still eats normally and everything else seems fine, very active still too so I figured I don't think it's crypto or stick tail at all-- Yuka's actually putting on weight everywhere else except the tail. I have thought about maybe trying to give some waxworms for extra fat but last time I had tried feeding mealworms the next day I found them all regurgitated back up over the entire enclosure (even though they were the smallest size I could possibly get my hands on) and Yuka was no longer interested in worms whatsoever.

I should start logging weight but the issue is despite having them for over a month now, Yuka is still VERY skittish around me. I truly do take my time with this and its my first leopard gecko so I'm not sure what else I could do to try to get Yuka used to being handled so I can weigh em. Luckily I haven't had issues with stuck shed whatsoever so I haven't had a reason to handle but if problems like that do arise I wanna make sure they're comfortable too with being handled and moved around. Would you happen to have any tips regarding that?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have a male gecko that I got 5 years ago as a young adult and he still hates being held. The only thing I've been able to do is to handle him only when necessary and then to hold him securely so he doesn't hurt himself or bite me. That's the best I can offer. If your gecko is eating normally and active, then I don't think it's worth worrying even if the tail isn't getting bigger.

Aliza

Visit our friends