Leopard Gecko Temper Tantrum???

delta029

Hey guys just had a question since my gecko might have just thrown what I can best describe as a temper tantrum.:confused: I got her about a month and a half ago from a local pet shop (I have another female leo as well that I've had for a year.) Anyways I was cleaning her tank out since I had her on eco earth for a couple of days while I was washing her repti-carpet. Her environment is what it should be around 90 degrees, she has a ten gal. all to herself, and warm and moist hides. Plain calcium kept in there at all times. Anyways she was chilling on my shoulder while I scooped the tank and seemed to be enjoying it. As soon as I put her back in she went ballistic, started running around frantically, and throwing herself against the glass trying to climb out. Now she's hiding in a corner and has been waving her tail defensively for about 15 min. She's staring at me as I type this. I have seen her trying to climb out in the past and even seen her jump from her hides in an attempt to escape. Other than that she behaves normally, eats well and all. I don't know if her age has to do with it she is relatively young about 6 months. I'm just concerned because my other gecko, Delta, has never displayed this kind of behavior in the year I've had her. I don't know what it could be due to clean tank, not wanting to be in there etc.. I would really appreciate some insight if anyone has seen this before.
***UPDATE***
She is currently curled up in her cold/moist hide and still displaying the same defensive/scared behavior she was a couple of hours ago. I really don't know what to make of it..

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you changed substrates she's probably freaking out about the change. It's likely she'll settle down once she gets used to it. As I used to tell my twin boys when they were little: "Different things for different beings".

Aliza

delta029

Thanks thats what I was thinking it might be due to I've just never seen her behave this way before she seems so upset.:eek:

Christywoowoo

If switching back to the repticarpet causes the same reaction, I would suggest sticking to one type of substrate because the switching is probably stressing her out.

I personally just switch between two repti carpets. The most they'll do is lick it a lot cause it smells different.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

delta029

Yea I sprinkled some of the old substrate in there to see if that will help her relax. If not I'll just remove the repti-carpet completely and stick with eco earth. :( Let's hope it helps.

Visit our friends