Leopard Gecko Thiamine Deficiency

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
I'm curious as to whether thiamine (B1) deficiency occurs in leopard geckos with any frequency.

I was in a discussion on another site about a leopard gecko with symptoms almost identical to enigma syndrome - but the age of the animal makes me think that it must be something else. In my reading I came across an interesting discussion on a theory regarding faulty thiamine absorption as a possible cause for enigma syndrome - http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=48617

While I have no idea if there is any merit to the enigma syndrome connection I was curious if thiamine deficiency ever occurs in leopard geckos normally. I know I've seen a lot of information on the condition in fish eating reptiles due to thiamine destroying enzymes, as well as in herbivores. Does this happen in insectivores with any frequency or is it a non - issue?

Again this is more intellectual curiosity than anything - for some reason information on hypovitaminosis in leos seems hard to come by (aside from calcium of course) and I'd like to find some further reading if possible as my google skills are failing me.

If anyone else is interested this video about zombie alligators was part of what got me so interested in the topic - absolutely fascinating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TemOZO2evQ

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Interesting...
Is there a way to get the correct YouTube link up there? I'm on my phone right now but I can edit it later.
Be sure to let us know what you find... I have limited experience with this stuff but I'd love to learn more

Gopherhockey03

That's crazy, I've never heard of anything like this in Leo's. Like you said it must be limited to fish eating reptiles. Idk but for sure really interesting nice subject to talk and learn more about...

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
Interesting...
Is there a way to get the correct YouTube link up there? I'm on my phone right now but I can edit it later.
Be sure to let us know what you find... I have limited experience with this stuff but I'd love to learn more

Hey Josh-
What was wrong with the link? It was working for me but I reposted as a normal link just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

Geckomaster743

Wow I've never heard of Any thing like that. Fill us in If you learn any thing about it I'm afraid i would be no help on this part of the Subject because I'm a Novice when it comes to Deficiency's, All i know is my Leopard Geckos need Calcium - VitaminD3 - And Herpative ( Multi Vitamins ).

Visit our friends