Leopard Geckos - How to Tame

Geckomaster743

I currently have 6 Geckos and Just about 5 of the 6 run in fear every time they see me ( Not sure why ). Normally i can just assume leopard geckos are afraid to be handled and need to get used to you. If your new to Leopard geckos or still have the existing Problems start here.

Day 1. If your Gecko can see you at a Distance where it feels safe try to seem Calm and less Noisy and basically observe it with out making any movements that create noise or cause your gecko to feel twice as cautious for the next 5 Min. After the time is over do the same thing later ( Over time your gecko will learn that it dosent need to fear you from that area )

Day 2. Continue what was done the day before ( You will probably notice Improvement around Day 4 )

Day 4. If your gecko's Chin dosent seem to move up and down really fast you will know that its heart isn't going crazy and that this is working.

Day 5. Reach out your hand in to the cage and try to encourage it to climb on. If it dosent want to leave it alone. ( If it succeeds in climbing on the Max time it should be handled is 5 Min )

Day 6. Continue to follow the steps and do your best to make your Geckos enclosure calm and not some thing that will stress them.

Day 7. By now you must have seen improvement in your Geckos behavior ( It will come out more and rome around its cage )

Day 8. Well Normally your Gecko should be fine right now if you haven't done any thing that will scare it. The basic result is a Calmer gecko that is Excited to come out and move through out its cage with out fear when your in the room. ( Noise and Constent Handling will mess up your Geckos trust, Its alright to handle it after this basic training but make sure not to over do it )
Im not sure if this works with any one but Artemis ( 1 of my Juvenile Geckos ) now isn't afraid to see me and as i type this is moving around her cage :)

Sammerz1990

3 Year Member
my geckos arent afraid of me when their in their cage.... they sit at their food bowl staring me down but they make funny noises when i try to handle them.

Geckomaster743

my geckos arent afraid of me when their in their cage.... they sit at their food bowl staring me down but they make funny noises when i try to handle them.
Mine like to Run away, Unless I'm handing out meal worms every one waits inside :) ( These are all from the Pets Store and when they were handed to me the way they were handled from inside of there small cage gave them reason to be scared of hands :( ) Though there getting better!

Sammerz1990

3 Year Member
I got one of mine from petco and the guy was scared of handling the geckos...and like tried catching them like wild lizards and slammed his hand and clasped tough......so mean i was like...ill pick him up if your scared...and he thought i was going to steal one...

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Great advice here! Thanks for sharing this...
How many people have really skittish geckos? How many have super tame ones? I bet it's a mixed bag until you can really take time to work with them

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I've got one who totally freaks out (Emerel) when I enter the room. But A couple of the ones I've hatched only enter the hides when its time to shed. It depends on the animals personality as well as how much its handeled. Even Emerel is pretty easy to handle, he just is really easily startled. LOL

Geckomaster743

Well right now other Geckos are learning from Artemis and For once Fade,Nova, and Athena came out and did what ever they needed to do :p I right now have 2 Tamed Geckos but the others are learning. They just need to not be over handled. But oh well im Excited that Athena is beginning to move around, Shes always Sleeping and hiding, She dosent like to eat, She dosent hunt for food if i give it to her and she always lets other geckos steal it and expects me to give her another one ( I would obviously give her more mealworms but Im not a Insect Farm and i dont Plan on Overfeeding every one else ). Though im really Excited that the taming trick is working out. Who else has some really cool tamed ones? Im going to put some photos up today!

Gopherhockey03

I'm lucky all mine are pretty tame. Only get scared when I move fast around them. Luckily they let me pat their heads :)

Geckomaster743

They really do settle down as they get older, too. The ones I've had for years, are by far, the calmest.
Achillies my oldest dosent like getting out of his cage but when he does hes the most Gentle gecko has can be :) same thing for Athena and Thesus they calm it out too and they should be mating in a Couple of monthes except i wont be breeding Athena ever ( Bad Eating Habit )

Maddy123

I have one female leopard gecko that bit me!:( She was never nice i got her from petco.They dont handle all of there animals thats probley why.I got one leopard gecko named gary from an expo and he is so nice.:)

Geckomaster743

Yeah i hate when i cant be there for an Animal, I cant jump to every pet store and save them, I can only hope some one does the right thing.

Visit our friends