Leopard Gecko's - Sunglows

Geckomaster743

Well soon i plan on buying some Sunglows and i was going to ask what you can normally breed with Sunglows and whats the Ratio? I went on the Leopard gecko morph calculator but im not getting any where. So i have alot of questions that need to be answered.

1. What is Sunglow X Sunglow = ?
2. What is Sunglow X Raptor = ?
3. What is Sunglow X Tremper Albino = ?
4. What are the Genes of a Plain Normal Sunglow?
Not all of these need to be answerd but the first and fourth are priorty!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
A sunglow is a SHTCT albino, often tangerine hybinos are called sunglows too (they have only 1 copy of the co-dom hypo gene).

So genetically you have the co-dom single copy or the super hypo (two copy) gene; albino (a simple recessive); and tangerine, a line-bred trait.

You have to deal with each trait separately when unless you breed sunglow x sunglow. Otherwise its a genetic free-for-all.

Lets assume your sunglow is the super hypo. If you cross with an albino (assuming its the same strain) you'll get all hypo albinos, many will have varying amounts of tangerine (sunglows). If you parent is only a single copy hypo, you'll get all albinos, and half hypo albinos, and the tangerine will vary.

The Raptor is another mess, genetically. Its a tangerine, patternless, eclipse eyed, albino. The patternless is not the same as Murphys Patternless, and its not the same as the hypo. I havent found much info on it at all, and it may be a polygenic (line bred) trait. But crossing with a SH sunglow, you'd get all hypo albinos (again assuming everyone is tremper), alot with tangerine, 50% with eclipse eyes. The patternless would be difficult to differ from the hypo. I dunno much about how that would work. But they'd probably all appear to be RAPTORs and APTORs. Tangerine will vary.

Thats all I know, anyone else?

Geckomaster743

A sunglow is a SHTCT albino, often tangerine hybinos are called sunglows too (they have only 1 copy of the co-dom hypo gene).

So genetically you have the co-dom single copy or the super hypo (two copy) gene; albino (a simple recessive); and tangerine, a line-bred trait.

You have to deal with each trait separately when unless you breed sunglow x sunglow. Otherwise its a genetic free-for-all.

Lets assume your sunglow is the super hypo. If you cross with an albino (assuming its the same strain) you'll get all hypo albinos, many will have varying amounts of tangerine (sunglows). If you parent is only a single copy hypo, you'll get all albinos, and half hypo albinos, and the tangerine will vary.

The Raptor is another mess, genetically. Its a tangerine, patternless, eclipse eyed, albino. The patternless is not the same as Murphys Patternless, and its not the same as the hypo. I havent found much info on it at all, and it may be a polygenic (line bred) trait. But crossing with a SH sunglow, you'd get all hypo albinos (again assuming everyone is tremper), alot with tangerine, 50% with eclipse eyes. The patternless would be difficult to differ from the hypo. I dunno much about how that would work. But they'd probably all appear to be RAPTORs and APTORs. Tangerine will vary.

Thats all I know, anyone else?
Ive always known the Raptor's are a Mess after reading the Genetics they are made of which rather disappointed me. So a Sunglow X Sunglow = Sunglow? I may have to re - read this all because im in a rush, About to go to school ( 4 Days Left ). Any way thanks for the Help Meg!

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I have to admit that most of this breeding genetics stuff is above my head. I tried to make sense of Meg's post but I think it went in one ear and out the other. Maybe there is a good infographic out there somewhere...

Geckomaster743

Yeah i had some trouble understanding too, Though most of its very logical and easy to understand if you spent time with genetics. So yesterday me and my friend viewed looked at Megs information and this is what we got.
Co-Dom = 2 Dominant Traits in 1 Gecko
Sunglow X Sunglow = Sunglow
And the rest i pretty much got except for the Raptor part, That part of genetics would never end well in my head. I don't know how breeders get them with the little chance they might get a Raptor instead of the other 4 Morphs they had to get to put them together.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Sorry to babble, I just LUV genetics! Its my passion. Its was my favorite subject, I took it twice in college (once in the agriculture program, and again in the zoology dept.... my degree is in zoology).

Most people understand dominant or recessive, but co-dominate kinda means dominant or double-dominant, i.e. you either get a a hypo or a super-hypo. The problem is that the differences can be difficult to distinguish visually. If you had a bunch of offspring, some would be easy to tell, but others would have to be bred to be sure.

The Mac snow is another co-dom, but super snows are easy to distinguish as hatchlings, they have solid black eyes. But giants are another on that is difficult to be sure of. Though some believe that giants are a line-bred trait.

Line bred traits are determined by multiple genetic factors. Its like breeding draft horses or Great Danes, you start with the largest animals you can find, and breed. Over many generations of in-breeding, your animals get larger.

Geckomaster743

Sorry to babble, I just LUV genetics! Its my passion. Its was my favorite subject, I took it twice in college (once in the agriculture program, and again in the zoology dept.... my degree is in zoology).

Most people understand dominant or recessive, but co-dominate kinda means dominant or double-dominant, i.e. you either get a a hypo or a super-hypo. The problem is that the differences can be difficult to distinguish visually. If you had a bunch of offspring, some would be easy to tell, but others would have to be bred to be sure.

The Mac snow is another co-dom, but super snows are easy to distinguish as hatchlings, they have solid black eyes. But giants are another on that is difficult to be sure of. Though some believe that giants are a line-bred trait.

Line bred traits are determined by multiple genetic factors. Its like breeding draft horses or Great Danes, you start with the largest animals you can find, and breed. Over many generations of in-breeding, your animals get larger.
That makes sense! Wow and i didn't know you had a degree in Zoology :) I'll be coming to you for more questions though for now all that really matters to me right now is Sunglow X Sunglow = Sunglow. Is that true? Once i have hatchlings and i begin to breed other morphs with the Sunglows ill come back to this topic to look at it more. Thanks for the information Meg, really helpful!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
That makes sense! Wow and i didn't know you had a degree in Zoology :) I'll be coming to you for more questions though for now all that really matters to me right now is Sunglow X Sunglow = Sunglow. Is that true? Once i have hatchlings and i begin to breed other morphs with the Sunglows ill come back to this topic to look at it more. Thanks for the information Meg, really helpful!
Yep... Sunglow X Sunglow = Sunglow

But better quality parents will lead to better quality offsping. Especially in regards to how orange they appear.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They will all be Mack snows and some of them will be super snows and/or enigmas. They will all be het for Tremper Albino, and eclipse, unless your Mack snow has similar gets. What advice do you need about the eggs besides keeping them in a decent incubator?

Aliza

Visit our friends