Leopard Geckos Won't Breed

Christopher Coon

Hi, I have had my three Leopard Geckos since March and have not noticed any breeding/my females don't look gravid. I have one male and two females in a 110 gallon tank with walnut shells and four hides...I am really looking to breed them and would like tips on getting them to breed...

Thanks,

Caleb C

Take a picture of the setup please. A 110 gallon tank is way too big. How big are your geckos and how much do they weigh? Walnut shells shouldn't be used. Switch it out for paper towels, reptile carpet, or slate tiles.

Christopher Coon

The reason I got a 110 gallon tank is because I first bought the geckos as pets, not to breed, later I decided to breed them. BTW I had been new to geckos when I bought them and got whatever the petsmart girl suggested...

Attachments

• Gecko Cage 2.JPG
    Gecko Cage 2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Gecko Cage 3.JPG
    Gecko Cage 3.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 121
  • Gecko Cage.JPG
    Gecko Cage.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 118

Caleb C

How many tanks do you have in all?
It actually looks fine. Can you measure the length and width?
As I said before, take out the ground walnuts. What light are you using and how many watts?
Can you possibly take pictures of the geckos?
What are they eating and how much a day?

Christopher Coon

I only have that one tank that is about 110 gallons. I am using a 75 Watt Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp. The tank is 30''x12''. I usually get 3 calcium covered crickets and throw them in the tank every other day...Should I feed them every day? As for the substrate, I would really like a good substrate that looks natural, which substrate looks the most like mulch or sand?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• Cammi and Spec.JPG
    Cammi and Spec.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Spot.JPG
    Spot.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 97

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Cute geckos, and your setup looks great! Your tank is probably closer to 20 gallons (a 20 gallon long tank is 30x12x12). For substrate you could use dry coco coir (Eco Earth) or slate tile; both of those look natural and are safer than walnut shells.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Thanks! I am going to switch out the walnut shells with Eco Earth...Should this promote breeding in them?

It should promote breeding in them but there are no guarantees. Breeding is one of those nuanced things that happens when everything is the way it should be for those two animals. You may get lucky, you may not. That's part of the breeding game.

Caleb C

Imo, you shouldn't be breeding yet. You need a minimum of two tanks, one for the male and one for the females. You should read care sheets on leopard geckos, as loose substrate often leads to impaction. I'm not sure if it's in the pics, but you need a humid hide. You can just put the eco earth in there for them to lay eggs.
The health of your geckos is much more important than the look of the tank. Get an under tank heater. Basking lights are used for diurnal animals that bask, and are way too bright and hot for the geckos.
I have a zoo med basking bulb for my steppe runner, and it easily hits 100 degrees.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree that it would be good for you to have more info before breeding, but some people (including me) do keep the males and females together without a problem. Another thing to consider, is that if you tank really is 30"x12", it's a bit too small for 3 geckos. I do keep 3 geckos in that size tank, but I have added a 12"x12" heated second level which gives them another 144 sq. in. of floor space.

Aliza

Christopher Coon

Thanks for the Help guys...I think I am going to get another smaller tank to keep the male in and to put its mate when I want them to breed...I have already switched the substrate and appreciate your help!

Visit our friends