Lepidodactylus Lugubris - Mourning geckos

Styx

One more species I forgot to post photos of. This is one of my favorite species. They are quite vocal (kind of sounds like if you click two marbles together when they chirp), and do a fantastic tail flagging behavior. They are also parthenogenetic, meaning they are a species of females, no males.

Couple of my adults.
PandoraClimb.jpg

Picture022.jpg

A juvenile.
018-2.jpg

021-1.jpg

022.jpg

Hatchling, maybe a month or two old.
040s.jpg

Jetfire

Those are adorable. It's ok to leave hatchlings in with the adults of that species (just guessing by the sheer size of the food dish relative to the baby)?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
So cute! I've always wondered about the parthenogenetic species (I think pictus geckos are another one). Do they always lay eggs, or is it seasonal or temperature dependant? What do you do if you don't want them to breed? I just have this image of my geckos exploding in number like rabbits...

Styx

Jetfire, in some instances it is, in some it isn't. I remove mine from the adult enclosure whenever I see them. My adults can be fairly aggressive and I have found a couple babies missing half their tail when I finally caught them. Some people have good luck raising them in tank. As for the food dish, it was the only clean one I had at the time, they usually have a much smaller green one. ;3

Amanda, I'm not sure on Pictus, I think they reproduce normally. Indo Pacific geckos are parthenogenetic, and apparently Komodo Dragons can be in the right situation. Mine lay eggs 'seasonally', they don't lay many in the winter but I think this mainly because the temp drops in their cage. If kept at a more stable temp they would probably produce year round. And yes, they do produce like crazy under the right conditions.

Visit our friends