Lets talk parasites

R

Russ S

In a few posts I have seen people post questions about their Leopard Geckos when health issues have surfaced. Much of the advice given has been to take a fecal sample to a qualified vet to have the sample tested for parasites.

I think this thread could be an invaluable tool for both the beginner, as well as the more experienced keeper.

Lets start off with what are the most common, what their symptoms are, incubation times, modes of transmission, and what treatment methods are most effective. Later we can move on to some of the less common parasites that might be encountered.

I would suspect this would be a thread to be answered by more experienced keepers and breeders of not only Leopard Geckos, but reptiles in general, since many of the parasites Leos can get can affect other reptiles as well.

I would also like to point out that personal experiences by even the most qualified of keepers is not necessarily a substitute for professional veterinary care.

Lets start with worms. Pinworms hookworms, round worms, tapeworms, ect ...

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Well Ive been watching and hoping someone else would start this off but Ill give it a shot. I have complied info from so many places and I hope I have all in my memory correct.

So:

All reptiles can carry a normal load of parasites which so no ill affect and can aid in digestion by breaking down the fecal matter.

The problem occurs when a reptile is accessed to have a high or above normal load of parasites. This can be caused by stress, poor husbandry with contaminated food and water among other things.

Pinworms have a direct life cycle and are the most common and easiest to treat using panacur (or safeguard) fenbendazole. At a concentration of 10% 100mg/g the dose would be .08 cc to 50 grams.

If you find a leo with a above normal load of parasites it is very important to follow strict cleaning, quarantine and follow up fecals to be sure the parasite load has decreased.

symptoms include but are not limited to:
Loss of appetite
Weight loss
failure to gain weight
anorexia

A fecal would be used to determine the load of pinworms and other parasites to determine if the reptile needs treatment.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Hookworms have a direct life cycle. Infestation usually occurs from contaminated food or water sources. These parasite fed on the internal organs blood supply.

Symptoms:
Anorexia
Weight loss
failure to gain weight
lethargic
Unusually stools, may be mucus laden or contain blood

also treated with panacur (or safeguard) fenbendazole but I do not remember the dosage.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Roundworms have an indirect life cycle and reek havoc to the host, most commonly from contaminated food sources.

Symptoms:
Regurgitation
Anorexia
Impaction
Weight loss or failure to gain weight

Also treated with panacur (or safeguard) fenbendazole but I do not remember the dosage.

Visit our friends