Light during incubation?

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I just read an article that says "Sleight and Birchard found in 2001, that the amount of prenatal visual stimulation had an effect upon embryos. The more exposure to a light source, the shorter the incubation time and a higher preference exhibited by the juvenile for that same stimulation after hatching. This indicates that the nervous system is responsive to stimulations even prior to the maturity of the organism. This gives a better understanding to their development."
http://www.usfca.edu/fac_staff/dever/gekkopaper.pdf

I noticed that two hatchlings I bought at a reptile show had very poor vision. Both were red-eyed Raptor varities, but their hunting success was so poor I was worried about blindness. Both also seemed pained by even the dimmest light. They have since out-grown these issues, and I figured it was a development issue due to the red eyes. But now I wonder.

My incubator is styrofoam, with a small window (its a hovabator), but eggs do not get much light. If hatchlings are then kept in a rack or drawer system, they get even less light.

I guess my point is this: incubation may be more important than we thought. It determines much about leos- sex, behavior and now brain chemistry. I think I'll try giving more natural light to my incubating eggs next year. Just sharing my thoughts...

Gopherhockey03

But in nature they don't just lay their eggs in daylight. So it's not really natural to shine light on them... But I guess if its a benefit to hatchlings then It'd be good.

Geckomaster743

I know they dont lay there Eggs in Sun light but when they Burry them in Dirt or Sand just to hide them from predators and to keep them warm the Natrual sun light is alot more stronger then the normal "UV - Basking Light ". The Special Waves it sends arent Cancerous but they do pass through any thing they are hidden under which means they get some sort of Natural stimulant. Im not sure if im correct but these are my thoughts. Thanks for the Information Leo thats pretty interesting!

Gopherhockey03

It never said anything about UV, It was just any light source. The study really didn't specify any of the details. But in the wild they lay and bury their eggs in rock crevasse's that contain heat and humidity, the eggs get no light stimulation what so ever, unless the mom fails to lay the egg in a correct spot in which light does shine on the egg thus. My opinion is the light in the study acts as a motivator to develop the gecko faster given the false sense of " I must develop faster because MOM didn't hide me very well and has left me vulnerable to predators!" Cause if they don't develop faster the chances of being eaten rise significantly. But it is amazing that there are so many variables during incubation from your gecko being Male of Female or having a jump start on better vision, or them being a hot or cold female or the amount of pigment in their skin! These little geckos are for sure amazing and we still have a lot to learn.

Geckomaster743

Oh! Well i think they should be born later then early! Its more important for a Gecko to Fully Created with all its Body Parts - Organs to avoid Disruptions and Fails in its system.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
This is an interesting subject. I'm curious to see what some of the breeders here find in their trials. Please keep us updated with information as you guys learn more.

Geckomaster743

Will do! Incubation - Birth - Laying - Hatching - First Interactment are the most important things about Geckos that breeders dont take to seriously. Im not breeding yet so im learning this now but when you get a Bad Gecko Egg or a Suffering Gecko with a Health Condition you will be Broken. I plan to stay with Clean - Happy geckos rather then nurshing one that may die any Second. I would if i had too but i think id try to give them better lives and wait a couple more days instead of rushing there birth! There are so many factors that can go wrong. For example when the Egg is being layed if there is no Laying spot or Safe area for the Egg it could be Damaged by the other Geckos wondering in the Cage. Second Incubating it is important to, If the Egg isnt at Male or Female it could be a Hot Female - Cold male ( The Aggresive Version of the Leopard Gecko ) and the Gecko may go bad if not at the right Temps! Then when its first going through its birth and hatching it can Suffocate if not taken out of the incubator on time! You normally may want to keep a hole in there just in case! And seperation is important just in case your other geckos may go on agressive terms with this "New" Vistor.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I do find it interesting that environment plays such a significant role, compared to genetics. We already know the species is quite resilient to inbreeding, and even since even gender is determined by incubation factors, it shouldn't be a surprise that other factors than temperature can influence development. Not that I'm gonna shine a light on my eggs (other than candleing, but it makes me more aware of things like humidity, air flow, and even air pressure.

Connor.R

one of my leos is a poor hunter also she has the albanisim trait, she has made progress due to tiresome hand feeding, but this study seems properly backed up so my eggs when layed are going to be subjected to sunlight :)

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Not a bad idea, just watch the temperatures. You want to avoid fluctuations as much as possible. Some breeders think this can lead to tail kinking and other birth defects. But yeah, those albinos can suck at catching crickets. Fortunately I enjoy hand feeding!

Visit our friends