Live feeders

lizzy008

hello, I was just reading and it says
  • As a treat, provide a variety of insects, including gut-loaded (recently fed) crickets, mealworms and waxworms
My question is: how often and how many crickets, mealworms or waxworms? Thanks

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I put a small handful of crickets in twice a week when I feed them to my leopard geckos. I do this for the crested geckos and 2 cages of the gargoyle geckos every time and I feed 2 other cages of gargoyles and one leachie much less often because they don't really eat them. The crickets may help themselves to some of the CGD which means they won't be helping themselves to the geckos.

Aliza

lizzy008

I put a small handful of crickets in twice a week when I feed them to my leopard geckos. I do this for the crested geckos and 2 cages of the gargoyle geckos every time and I feed 2 other cages of gargoyles and one leachie much less often because they don't really eat them. The crickets may help themselves to some of the CGD which means they won't be helping themselves to the geckos.

Aliza
Not sure if I’m understanding correctly, crickets feed on cresties?thanks

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people worry that live feeders can chew on the reptile. I haven't generally found this to be true though there have been 2 exceptions in my collection:
--I had one gecko with a regenerated tail and for some reasons, mealworms would latch on to his tail and chew on him, so he didn't get any mealworms
--I was breeding super worms in one of my gargoyle enclosures and when the beetle/superworm load got too large, I was finding super worms and/or beetles (just can't remember which) occasionally latching on the the gargs' tails. I ended up moving the super worm colony to their own enclosure.

In general I think cresties are safe from a few crickets.

Aliza

Visit our friends