Looking for advice on a special needs baby leopard gecko

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
This past year my leopard geckos laid three batches of eggs.

My first set of babies had some very bad defects and I didn't think either would survive. The second set of eggs were laid the same week the first babies hatched. I made the agonizing decision to destroy the eggs as I strongly suspected a nutritional deficiency that wasn't corrected in time. I still feel horrible about it. I upped the supplements for the adults and I'm happy to say that the third set hatched into very healthy fat babies.

I strongly suspect that the mother had a vitamin A deficiency. She seemed very healthy and active, if a bit overweight, but I do recall seeing her strike at, and miss food by a mile a few times. At the time I didn't recognize this as a symptom and thought nothing of it. There was also a slight problem with the temps near the end of the incubation period that could have also caused problems.

Both geckos from the first batch were badly undersized. The yolk sack also stayed attached for three or four days making me think they may have been born too early. The first baby had missing toes, and absent eyelids. The second gecko had partial eyelids (notched on one side, rear edge of the eyelid missing. He also had a badly turned in foot, missing toes, and seemed unable to lift himself. I figured I'd need to put both down, but I wanted to at least give them a shot. I gave them both eye-drops and eye ointment three times a day. I hand fed them repta-aid every night as well.

The first died after a week or two. The second, who seemed much worse at first improved dramatically. His foot is still turned in a bit but he got stronger and was able to walk around and even run around the cage. I was able to ween him off the repta-aid by offering him chopped up meal worms although he still won't hunt unless he sees the feeding tongs. He is three or four months old now. Still very undersized, has frequent eye infections, and appears to have a slight bubble on his stomach (under the skin) where the yolk sack was attached.

His eyes seem to crust over periodically, giving him antibiotic eye ointment to clear it up and it seems to be working. My worry is that without being able to close his eyes all the way that this is going to keep happening. His front legs seem to be getting better. He isn't able to hunt right now because of his eyes so I'm hand feeding him again. At three or four months old he is about the size of the other geckos when they hatched. He is still very energetic, and also very friendly.

Has anyone dealt with a similar case? I'm wondering if there is a way to assuage the eye issues. Tried petroleum based eye ointment as well as regular eye drops, hard to tell if either helped. Is the bubble on his stomach an abdominal herniation and is there anything that can be done about it. I'm also worried about his quality of life and whether I'm doing the right thing.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Sorry I don't have any advice except get him to a vet; they would probably know best. Poor baby; keep us updated on his progress. I really hope he makes it!

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
His eyes and appetite have definitely been improving lately. While I usually go to the vet immediately I don't think she'll be able to do much in this case. The acute issue of the eye infection is under control for now with the ointment, and from previous talks it seems very unlikely that any surgical intervention is possible with an animal so small.

Definitely willing to spend the money on the vet, or whatever I need to do to keep him healthy. It is just one of those cases where I'm not sure that she'll be able to do much beyond prescribing the eye ointment I already have. While the exotics vet in my area is very knowledgeable she doesn't seem to do a ton with small lizards and in the past hasn't been able to provide a ton of info on specialized care. From previous experience she's been a huge help with diagnosis, and medication, however, when it comes to supportive care I've generally had to improvise.

Basically while he's out of the woods for now, I can't keep him on antibiotics forever, and I'm also concerned that the liquid diet isn't going to work long term. I figure this is one of those cases where specific experience with a similar case is probably going to be his best bet. If the short term improvement doesn't continue I'll definitely get him to the vet.

Anyways thanks for the advice and the kind words :)

Gopherhockey03

Poor little guy... It honestly made me happy that your doing that for him. A lot of people would have put him down instantly. All you can really do is keep up with what your doing and give him a good life. Can you post some pictures of him?

Geckomaster743

Hearing this story makes me feel so sad :( When i used to walk the trail around my House i used to find little little Geckos less then the size of a quarter of my Smallest finger. I didn't know what to feed these guys because they were INSANELY small. My first one died and the other 5 Weren't doing so well so i let them go. I wasn't that mad but if i ever had a leo get sick like that i wouldn't know what to do....

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
Here are a few pictures - His name is Dib.

You can see his crazy little raptor claw in the pic. I couldn't get a good picture of the eye issue, I'd just applied eye ointment when this was taken so it is pretty hard to see. Basically one eyelid is notched, and neither fully connect in the back leaving a slight wedge of the eye exposed.

He is a complete sweetheart, and is easily one of the friendliest geckos I've ever had. When I take him out he actually sticks out his tongue and waits for me to drop food on it.

Since I made the post I tried reintroducing him to solid food which was much easier than expected. I cut up some meal worms and he took them with surprising enthusiasm. I moved him out of the hospital cage and back in with his siblings about a week ago, he's out exploring and seems to be demonstrating a lot more energy than he's had in a while.

o5cju.jpg
bPYLd.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Thanks for the update! It sounds like he's doing MUCH MUCH better than just a few days ago!
Kudos to you!

Geckomaster743

Omg, what a beautiful little guy, my eyes just got a little watery.
You too? Poor lil Gecko. And to think his Sibling died for nothing =/ I hope he gets better. Thank god these Geckos end up in the right hands, Makes me so sad that this was Natural though rather then it being a Man - Made problem :(

Geckomaster743

Heres my Advice, Every thing you feed him needs to be Protien based! And if he's low on Fat then i recommend you do not give him Wax Worms. Its seriously going to mess up his eating Habits in the future. From what i hear your doing is great right now, Continue to give him attention because of his condition he seems to be fond of it, And make sure he has Constant heat. The problem with reptiles is that you will only see the problem in the End. He may have a Hidden Disease - Problem - ETC. And Exposure to any other Disease will kill him. From the way it looks the Lump could be some form of " Reptile Cancer - Just Extra Skin - A Future Problem ) So make Sure he's always at the Healthiest he can be and that all his needs are met!

I've yet to have a problem like that but talk to a local reptile vet. They could give you advice and when you do find out please tell us so we know what to do good luck and thanks.

Charlie

Wow - Glad he back on soilds for you without too much of a problem. How is the little gecko doing ? x

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
I'm happy to say Dib is doing very well. He's growing and finally putting on some weight. I hand fed him worms for a while and his appetite seemed to improve by the day. I didn't think his eyesight was good enough to hunt but I caught him leaving his hide with a gigantic cricket that he caught himself so I think he was hustling me a bit :)

He still has some eye trouble - the eye infection cleared up but he still gets a crust forming over one eye periodically. It does not respond to antibiotics and seems to be a physical result of the defective eyelid rather than an infection. I give him lubricant eye drops and carefully remove the plaque about once a week when it starts to affect his vision. Not ideal but it seems to keep the eye from getting any worse. I haven't taken him off the antibiotics yet but I'm probably going to stop soon as I don't think I can keep him on them forever - he may be chronically prone to eye issues so I'll consult with my vet if the problem reoccurs when I stop the eye ointment.

He's grown but is still a fraction of the size of his younger brothers. I am beginning to think that he has some level of dwarfism as his growth is slowing down and he is still looks like a baby (his younger brothers are approaching adulthood). Whether this is an inborn condition or a result of insufficient nutrition (due to his early medical problems) I don't know.

He seems to be happy, and looks adorably proud of himself every time he catches food. He is a lot more active - and seems to follow his brothers around constantly and tries to hide underneath them when he gets scared. He will probably always have some health issues- but he'd doing far better than I could have hoped. Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and encouragement - it is really appreciated!

I'll post some pics as soon as he decides to stop being stubborn about it.

Geckomaster743

I'm happy to say Dib is doing very well. He's growing and finally putting on some weight. I hand fed him worms for a while and his appetite seemed to improve by the day. I didn't think his eyesight was good enough to hunt but I caught him leaving his hide with a gigantic cricket that he caught himself so I think he was hustling me a bit :)

He still has some eye trouble - the eye infection cleared up but he still gets a crust forming over one eye periodically. It does not respond to antibiotics and seems to be a physical result of the defective eyelid rather than an infection. I give him lubricant eye drops and carefully remove the plaque about once a week when it starts to affect his vision. Not ideal but it seems to keep the eye from getting any worse. I haven't taken him off the antibiotics yet but I'm probably going to stop soon as I don't think I can keep him on them forever - he may be chronically prone to eye issues so I'll consult with my vet if the problem reoccurs when I stop the eye ointment.

He's grown but is still a fraction of the size of his younger brothers. I am beginning to think that he has some level of dwarfism as his growth is slowing down and he is still looks like a baby (his younger brothers are approaching adulthood). Whether this is an inborn condition or a result of insufficient nutrition (due to his early medical problems) I don't know.

He seems to be happy, and looks adorably proud of himself every time he catches food. He is a lot more active - and seems to follow his brothers around constantly and tries to hide underneath them when he gets scared. He will probably always have some health issues- but he'd doing far better than I could have hoped. Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and encouragement - it is really appreciated!

I'll post some pics as soon as he decides to stop being stubborn about it.
I have always been Against Culling because i don't feel like people give them a chance and that Killing and Taking the life of a gecko is so upsetting. Im SO happy that some kind soul out there isn't just in this for Profit and shows some kindness. Im just saying i know a lot of Breeders out there that just have too many geckos to care about one. I can't describe how proud i am! Keep up the good deeds Apocalypse! I hope Dib does a lot better in his life and i know a lot of people who would have given up on Dib! You really Changed his life for the better! :D :) :D :)

Visit our friends