Loss of electricity in incubator

wildcrek

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum, new to incubating eggs but not new to leopard geckos.
My question...

We have a single egg that was laid in early April, I didn't write down the date (that is a whole other long story). This egg has been incubating at 82` since it was laid, undisturbed. I didn't think it was fertile to begin with but decided to be on the safe side and incubate. It seems the embryo was developing as the egg is nice and plump and not molding.

We are in Texas and had 4 weeks of horrible weather, last Friday we lost electricity early in the morning (around 530a). By the time I got up (930a) the temp in the incubator was 75`. I rushed the egg to a friends house and began incubating it again at 82`.

Still no mold, no smell, no collapsed shell. What are the odds of this little guy surviving the drastic temp change??

I'm not going to mess with the egg until I see mold, but shouldn't it be hatching soon? How long after an embryo dies does it begin to go bad?

Thanks in advance for your time!!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sometimes the egg looks fine for weeks after the embryo dies and sometimes the egg looks nasty and a healthy baby hatches, so unfortunately, you'll just have to wait and see what develops (or doesn't). Good luck.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

If it was only a few hours I wouldn't be too worried. I've transported eggs to science classes so kids could hatch them out and they turned out just fine. Keep an eye on your egg definitely but I bet it handles the short shock okay. Fingers crossed and let us know!

Visit our friends