Lost Three Babies

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
One of them was eating really well until he had an issue with a sticky shed. One other one was just starting to eat and had a sticky shed. The last one I had posted on here in the general forum was having seizures when stressed but was starting to take meal worms from tweezers.

In the first two cases it seemed like after the shed they had issues with their jaw. It seemed to hinge in the middle of the jaw and they had issues holding onto the meal worms. I also think it made things difficult when they wree shedding. They probably couldn't hold onto the sheds.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I was going to take pictures but I could bring myself to look at them anymore. I have three others that appear healthy and are thriving. With the one having seizures I thought I was going to have to euthanize anyway because it's quality of life wasn't being affected. The others just seemed to take a turn for the worse after the shed issue.

fl_orchidslave

When the weather got cooler and humidity levels changed, a number of my tiny tots began curling up in their water dishes. A few of the younger juvies had shed scarves left on their heads. It was cute, but I had to keep a closer eye on the humid hides and be sure they maintained moisture. It's a bit more difficult to see stuck shed on little tots, and a piece left on can cause them discomfort as well as damage.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
From what you're describing it sounds as if the problem is more with their ability to handle the sheds rather than the sheds themselves. I'm assuming these three died? Were their jaws and limbs rubbery? If so, I would suspect MBD either because they're somehow not ingesting the calcium and D3 or because they aren't metabolizing it for some congenital reason. Am I in the ballpark or am I misunderstanding your post?

Aliza

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
I think you may be right. I'm going to give the others extra calcium by putting some on their noses. Thanks for the insight, I wouldn't have looked at it from that angle.

Visit our friends