Male Bleeding after Copulation

Josh P.

Did someone ever had such experience with first time breeders?

I have a male who paired for the first time this year and after copulating there was a small pool of blood beneath him. He acted casually, licked normally and the hemipenis is now retracted so it's not a prolapse. He is otherwise a healthy gecko and lives in great husbandry conditions.

I read in another thread in this forum that someone was told by a veterinary that first time male breeders may sometimes ejaculate blood and that it's normal but this never happened to me before in years of breeding. I would appreciate some feedback and opinions.

Thank you for your time.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I haven't particularly had that happen, but having just dealt with a male breeder with a prolapsed hemipenis as well as an impacted one, I would recommend that you keep an eye on him to make sure that:
--no prolapse appears
--his bulges don't start looking extra large. This gecko had a prolapsed right hemipenis but it was the left bulge that got really big. The vet had to remove the impaction surgically.

I have another male where I need to squeeze his bulges (yes, I know this sounds gross) a few times a week because if I don't, the stuff builds up and he can get impacted.

Aliza

Visit our friends