Mating Or attacking?

Geckomaster743

Well 2 Days ago i got a gram scale! Woo hoo! Just as i was weighing every body i noticed that Neo was biting on Athenas tail and pushing her in to the Humid hide. She wasnt doing any thing so i asummed she was helpless and took him out. He weighs 26 Grams ( Looks reasonable for his size ) but Athena weighs 28 Grams ( Looks like a Inaccurate measurement because she looks MUCH bigger. ) I hear the safe breeding weight is 50 - 60 Grams so i just thought it was an attack and put him in a Different cage to give him a Break from the other geckos. The next morning i put him back in there and he just sat there. When Athena popped her head out from the rock he begun to get close to it and closer, She licked his eye so i assumed he was allowed to get back in the rock and every thing was good but when she got out of the rock he begun attack a part on her back and he was Biting really hard. I tried to pull him off but he wouldnt let go, I thought i'd have to break his legs off before he would even budge ( I would never do that. ). After constant pulling he let go but his behavior towards Athena seemed like he was trying to mate with her. I cant be sure but ill look out too see if any thing comes up or she becomes gravid. I seriously hope she dosent because this is what i was trying to avoid and there are no Vets near me and i have no Vet experince so if some thing pops up for the worst shes in trouble.

Caleb C

The safe breeding weight is 50-60 grams, but they will breed if they are put together, they don't know when it's time for them to breed, it's just instincts, so they will probably breed at a smaller weight if given the chance. If you're unsure why they're aggressive, I would just separate them.

Geckomaster743

Yeah im sure he was in the mood to mate. Ive seen photos of what its like and what Rejection looks like. She didnt seem like she was trying to fight back..

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
If you can tell the sex, then they're sexually mature and need to be separated. But you knew that. :rolleyes:

Breeding can be hard on the girls. Even when they're receptive, they can suffer some mean bites. The males will bite and hang on. I've never had a male draw blood, but I've seen plenty of bruising, especially around the female's head. (Its obvious on my blizzards, since they've go no spots.) But if the female is not receptive, she'll bite back and whack him with her tail Not that that will stop a male on the prowl. They can be extreamly persistent.

Geckomaster743

If you can tell the sex, then they're sexually mature and need to be separated. But you knew that. :rolleyes:

Breeding can be hard on the girls. Even when they're receptive, they can suffer some mean bites. The males will bite and hang on. I've never had a male draw blood, but I've seen plenty of bruising, especially around the female's head. (Its obvious on my blizzards, since they've go no spots.) But if the female is not receptive, she'll bite back and whack him with her tail Not that that will stop a male on the prowl. They can be extreamly persistent.
Yeah, He was Holding on tight, Ive also seen slight brusing and small scabs around her forehead so i moved him. Though do females always reject? She was letting him and they may both be Mature. Ive been trying to figure out every ones gender recently and i think i was a bit too late. Theres another gecko that shes also being kept with that is a Possible female but i will just have to wait and see. I wasnt expecting Neo to be a male or even mate with her because hes alot smaller then her. And can they always become Gravid? Isnt there like a chance that she wont become gravid and this wont affect her health or how long she lives. I never wanted to breed her and now shes stopped eatting, Shes ethier stressed from what happened or shes creating an egg which is exactly what i dont need.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Females that dont reject, just lift their tail to the side and wait. Males are going to mature earlier, but fertility is another issue. Just becase his hormones are going, doesnt mean he is fertile yet. Or her, for that matter. So yeah, there's still a chance she isnt gravid. But you'll just have to wait and see.

And she may have just stopped eating for lots of reasons... maybe she misses him?

Geckomaster743

Females that dont reject, just lift their tail to the side and wait. Males are going to mature earlier, but fertility is another issue. Just becase his hormones are going, doesnt mean he is fertile yet. Or her, for that matter. So yeah, there's still a chance she isnt gravid. But you'll just have to wait and see.

And she may have just stopped eating for lots of reasons... maybe she misses him?
I don't know.. She has begun eating again though i guess i should be thankful that the eggs may never be laid. She's having vitamins almost every day just in case though. I would seriously like the Egg too ether be laid with out problems and not hatch it ( The hatchling would probably have some problem and i guess i couldn't provide the care it needs, It would just suffer and i can't kill a Leo with out feeling bad for the rest of my life ). The day before i separated him for sure i saw him trying to nibble on her tail because it was just sitting there outside of the cup hide. The next day when i tried to see if he was going to behave back in the cage he mated with her. Can a gecko actually miss a gecko? I know they have feelings but when i hear of mating its always like I bred my Blizzard with my Raptor, And my Enigma and so on. I just didn't think they held on to one gecko. So maybe :rolleyes:

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
I dont think geckos actually 'miss' each other when separated... but they do get used to their 'tank-mates,' and wonder where they've gone. But mating is so hormone-driven, I dont think they care who it is!

Visit our friends