Mating questions

joe1597

Hey, just got a few questions about mating, I have bred geckos before but I just have a few questions about the mating as the ones I have bred were kept together but I now have a few others separate that I would like to breed. I keep most of my geckos separate and I've tried introducing a male to one of the females twice but both times were unsuccessful, the first time she was pretty defensive but they were both fine and this was when I introduced him into her tub. I recently placed them in neutral territory and she wasn't as defensive and he sort of got on too of her but then she was biting a little and she ran off.
So I'm wondering what I should do with them as they're both of breeding size and weight, should I just keep trying to put them together to see if she eventually allows him or should I put him in with her for a few days. Obviously I do want to breed her but if it's going to be too much stress for her then I won't.

Also I'm just wondering if this female below looks to be of breeding size. She's around 12-18 months old, can't be certain as I got her from pet shop and they could only give me an estimate. She weighs 48 grams as of today and is eating well. I know the recommended minimum is 45 grams I just like to get another opinion :)

d97998cc3c58d9808f4a5bd7e218b0fb.jpg

01db49a3956ed0b26887f0d6c1eae745.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
For successful mating, I recommend keeping them together for a few days (they may do it when you're not watching), as long as no one is beating up the other one. The generally recommended minimum weight for breeding is 50 grams, but if I have a gecko that's over a year old and is close to 50 grams and ovulating, I'll breed her because she'll probably stop eating due to ovulation, but will likely get hungry again if she lays.

Aliza

joe1597

Thank you that's very helpful :) I've also got another female that I think is ovulating as she's not eaten for a few weeks and she's on her own so I'm just getting worried as her tail is getting thinner but she doesn't seem to be losing a lot of weight.
So do you think I should leave her as she is or put a male with her in the hope that she'll lay and then get hungry, I just get really worried when they've not eaten for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Whether you breed them depends to some extent on your ability to feed, house and possibly provide vet care for them. I have a number of geckos who don't eat much in the winter and/or during breeding season. Some of them lose weight and some don't. Most of the time everyone ends up OK.

Aliza

Visit our friends