May be hatchling? Not sure - second gecko

LeoMerlin

Hello all, after I got Merlin, my first gecko, I couldn't help but get another one. I got it from PetCo because I didn't know where I'd be when the Reptile Show came around in my area. It's very very tiny, and I posted a picture in the "Show Off Your Leos" section. The name is Artemis.

My question is, since I don't know how long ago Artemis "hatched" from the egg, and it looks to still be a reaaaally small baby, how long does it take to get them to start eating on a regular basis? And what is the best to feed them? I was able to get Artemis to eat a small cricket yesterday, (no signs of bathroom yet), which also has me concerned. But today he/she's just not wanting to eat at all. I tried again and it's licked it but nothing else. I have a bowl of small mealworms as well just in case.... but doesn't look like it's been touched.

I am keeping Artemis in Merlin's old 10 gallon tank that I have made sure was clean and has fresh paper towels and everything, two hides (one moist, the other cool), water/food/calci dish, UTH pad, and a red bulb. I just don't know what else to do. I keep an eye on Artemis, but I want to make sure he/she will begin to eat and that I'm not just over reacting. Artemis stays in the long log hide which is in between the cool and warm side of the tank.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Hatchlings should really start to eat in 3-7 days after they have shed for the first time and most of them start slowly. Hopefully the one you bought at Petco is not that young. It's more likely that it hasn't been getting its share of the food in the enclosure with all the other little geckos and is small for its age. As with all new geckos, it needs time to become accustomed to its new environment and its best to offer food and leave it alone. There is a chance that it won't do well because it was marginal to begin with which happens with some geckos that are produced in a "gecko mill". Good luck.

Aliza

LeoMerlin

Hmm okay, well I did find a bathroom spot this evening so I'm less stressed about that. I guess I just need to give it a few more days, and if I don't see any progress, I'll call PetCo and see what's going on. The man that got the little one out for me did not know when the hatch date was. I just don't want Artemis to suffer, I have the right environment for her/him whichever. So I will just sit it out and wait, thank you for the response!

Visit our friends