MBD Rescue questions. Please help.

Kat8383

Hi,
So today my boyfriend and I went to the beach to go kayaking. As we were coming out of the water I see a family holding a shoe box with some holes in it. I instantly knew they had some sort of critter inside. Being the animal lover that I am, I could not help but look to see what they had in the box. I thought they had caught a crab or something they found on the beach. TURNS OUT, the family was trying to release two leopard geckos on the beach. I freaked out and immediately went up to them and told them NOT to release them that I would take them both home with me. The family was so excited about my offer that they said they'd go home and pick up the tank and bring it over to me. So they did.
As I got home with my two new geckos, I noticed something was off. one of them was super lethargic and his hands and feet were all bent out of shape pointing in all the wrong directions.... The other has some what of a hunch back and one hand was bent inwards. their tank had two dishes inside. One dish looked like it had either calcium or some sort of supplement powder in it and the other was for the mealworms. I thought maybe lack of calcium or TOO MUCH calcium. So I Immediately started googling and learned that they both had MBD.

I will literally do everything and anything in my power to save these two guys. Can someone help me out here. I have a feeling one of them is not going to make it. I wiggled some mealworms in front of both of them and the one that is "not so bad" ate two but they other one did not show any interest.

They gave me the tank with two light bulbs. She said one was for the day time and the other was a red night light. Ive had Leopard geckos in the past and I never had a lamp for them, just a heat pad. They also used neon orange sand which I don't approve of. I purchased some carpet for them and a heating pad that will arrive in two days. I also added two hides. One with moist area and another dry area. I put my tortoises heat lamp on them for now since its a bit cold out. just to keep them warm while the heating pad arrives in two days.

I am going to attach photos. I feel so bad for these guys. Can anyone help?! please!
Please keep in mind, I have added a dish with vitamin powder, a dish with water, a dish with a couple worms, a wet cover, a dry cover and a temporary heat lamp till the heating mat/pad comes in. I also plan on changing the sand since I don't like sand for geckos.

Attachments

• 59512067237__C8E09095-6DBE-4E8B-AE4E-361DE0D01BDC.JPG
    59512067237__C8E09095-6DBE-4E8B-AE4E-361DE0D01BDC.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.49.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.49.11 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.49.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.49.25 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.49.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.49.54 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Great that you caught them in time! Yes, they do have MBD. It's possible they were getting calcium but no vitamin D3. You can give them some calcium with D3 by dipping your finger in water, then dipping it into the calcium and D3 and rubbing it on their mouths. For the one that doesn't seem interested in eating, you may have to squish up a feeder and rub some of that on its mouth. Consider a vet visit if possible. You won't be able to reverse the MBD, but they may be able to live decent lives anyway. For the one that's in worse shape, its mouth may be too weak to really chew up the feeders.

Aliza

Kat8383

Aw thank you so very much for your reply. what do you mean "Squish up a feeder?" do I mash the mealworms and then rub that on his mouth? ugh, I feel so bad for them. I wish this was reversible.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, it's kind of gross but you can "pop" a mealworm with your fingernail and then see if you can get some of the guts on the gecko's mouth. If you can get these geckos strong enough to eat, they could do well and have a good quality of life

Aliza

Visit our friends