Mealworm beetles always upside down !

mo.mak

So I decided to breed these fellas(meal worms ) so I could finally stop spending money for them ,but I notice that most of the time when I open the container/kritter keeper they are in(the mealworm beetles ), some of them most of the time are upside Down ! It's as if I somehow bumped the container they were in , am I the only one with this problem? I get worried that they might die of hunger if I don't tip them back up on their feet

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I wouldn't worry about them being upside down. I have hundreds of beetles at a time and there are always a bunch of them upside down. I've even seen them mate upside down, haha! They tip over very easily but they always manage to get back up eventually. I don't think I've ever had one die because it was on its back. I actually enjoy just watching the beetles' behavior, and I noticed that when upright beetles walk past upside down ones, the upside down ones can grab onto the upright one and get up that way. It seems that when they are upside down they just swing their legs around until they connect with something, and they usually do, in my experience.

It would be an awful lot of work to tip all the beetle back over every day!

mo.mak

Thanx alot on the feed back !

Your right, I've actually witnessed one get a hold of another beetle that seemed to have been passing by and took that as an opportunity to get back upright ! From now on I'm just going to leave them , I mean what doesn't kill them will only make them stronger am i right : D ? Mating upside down ? Can't wait to witness that one ! These fellas take every opportunity they get to breed so it would be quite hilarious to say the least!

Moshe

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Visit our friends